Couple’s missing wedding band returned after 40 years

GREENSBURG – An unexpected discovery as one woman remodeled her bathroom turned out to be something one couple had been missing for 40 years.

A contractor at Rita Hellmich’s house found a wedding band, as he removed a built-in vanity. The band had initials and a wedding date of 1968 inside it, prompting Hellmich to search for its owner.

It turned out the ring belonged to Joyce and Paul Werner, who built the home in 1971. The Werners drove to Greensburg from Cincinnati to get the ring back, saying it’s been so long and they never thought they’d find it.

“We thought it was a joke at first, someone playing a prank,” Paul Werner said.

“I even said to (my family) at Christmas this year, ‘I really should get another wedding ring,’” Joyce Werner said.

Instead, the Werners got the original ring back. They’d never met Hellrich, who lives in their old home, and said being back brought back memories of their first years as a family.

“It’s like new!” Paul Werner said, as he slipped the ring back on his wife’s finger.

The ring came just in time for an important date. This weekend, the Werners will celebrate their 45th wedding anniversary.

8 Comments to “Couple’s missing wedding band returned after 40 years”

cjmo said:
    January 30, 2013 at 9:34 PM

Awww, how sweet! With all the bad news, it's nice to see something so uplifting! Hope their anniversary is extra-happy!

Rod & Nancy Stem said:
      January 30, 2013 at 10:28 PM

Congrats on such a sweet story. We shared a vacation with this lovely couple last summer for 10 days, traveling the national parks on a bus tour, and enjoyed their company a lot. So glad the ring got back to the proper owner.

IndyGrrl said:
    February 1, 2013 at 9:37 AM

Someday, someone will remodel the bathroom at our first apartment and find the ring I lost between the vanity and the wall the DAY AFTER WE GOT MARRIED. lol Happy anniversary to this couple!

bigsones said:
    February 1, 2013 at 12:06 PM

really this is news worthy

kristina davis said:
    February 1, 2013 at 2:17 PM

This was truly a miracle to find this after that many years happy anniversary I can only hope that my husband I will 1 day celebrate our 45th wedding anniversary we just celebrated our 10th anniversary January 25th 2013

safety guy said:
    February 1, 2013 at 4:22 PM

I found a few ones in my pants the next day after going to Brad's. I found that to be just as heart warming.

Wrapped jewelry said:
    April 4, 2013 at 5:22 AM

Ufff…Truly amazing news so far at all!!! Glad to know that at least returned. As a reader I appreciate this writing. Thanks the head up and keep posting like this!