Traffic

Indiana State Police reported 40 to 60 vehicles, including several semis, are involved in an accident at Interstate 70, just west of State Road 267 near Plainfield.

All lanes are closed in both directions.

Authorities said several people have been transported to Methodist and Hendricks Regional hospitals.

INDOT officials said the lanes are expected to be closed for eight hours.

Fox59 will update the story as more information becomes available.

39 Comments to “Dozens of vehicles involved in accident on I-70 near Plainfield; all lanes closed”

bob said:
    January 31, 2013 at 3:22 PM

damn

memememe said:
      January 31, 2013 at 4:49 PM

lol

Glenda said:
    January 31, 2013 at 3:28 PM

Are the roads slick?

Kim said:
    January 31, 2013 at 3:30 PM

The roads aren't exactly slick, but there's zero visibility during these white outs.

Brian said:
    January 31, 2013 at 3:36 PM

Opps I bet some one was driving about 35mph that will do it

Ray said:
      January 31, 2013 at 3:54 PM

Really! It is probably was someone driving 80mph!

Teeya said:
        January 31, 2013 at 4:31 PM

nabie

Teeya said:
        January 31, 2013 at 4:52 PM

did you see that crash wow i wander who got hert

teeya said:
      January 31, 2013 at 4:27 PM

ya

Alondra Campa said:
      January 31, 2013 at 7:54 PM

no…thts not the problem. there is an elephant abandoned on the road

Perry said:
      February 1, 2013 at 12:13 PM

Do u work at hurst beans?

matt baugh said:
    January 31, 2013 at 3:50 PM

Me and my girlfriend were at the front of it it was crazy all u heard was lood noises scarest thing I have ever experience!!

Felica said:

I hope everyone is okay

Elizabeth said:
    January 31, 2013 at 3:56 PM

Anybody know how far back the traffic is stopped on West bound 70

Mimi said:
    January 31, 2013 at 3:57 PM

Stuck in traffic! Gonna park at the TA for a couple of hours then leave. Taking the back roads. Ugh!!!

Mimi said:
    January 31, 2013 at 3:57 PM

I hope everyone is okay!!!!

mememe said:
      January 31, 2013 at 4:50 PM

are you telling the truth? how can i believe this?

Mimi said:
    January 31, 2013 at 4:01 PM

The roads aren't slick at all. It was probably that drive that was swerving all over the place in a semi. He was driving like he was drunk or high on something. He almost hit us!!!! I really hope everyone is okay and alive. My man and I just pulled into the TA exit 59. Gonna wait about a couple of hours then head on out. Taking the back roads to OH to get unloaded. Be careful everyone!

Jay said:
      January 31, 2013 at 4:36 PM

all you have to do is go north to US 40 and then east to 267 and get back on 70 there.

RWL said:
    January 31, 2013 at 4:37 PM

It is one thing and one thing only, TAIL GATEING. Especially "PROFESSIONAL TRUCK DRIVERS". Slow down and get off the backside of the person in front of you. Of all of the people in that pile that was in such a hurry. Did you get to where you were going on time, or are you even alive.

IndyRacer57 said:
      January 31, 2013 at 6:29 PM

I wish I was still driving and some how get you to take one ride with me in a semi. See I am one of those Professional Truck Drivers. I don't know how many times a car past me and almost cut me off to get in front of me. Of course by this time, you see me and say I am following to close. Yes truck drivers are just like everyone else that is driving. there are good and bad drivers. .

H Diana Watkins said:
    January 31, 2013 at 4:44 PM

Pray for all those involved……………..And yes rain snow r sunny they all drive to fast on the interstates…………have saw it so many times………..on 70 near the airport,,,,,,,

Duane said:
    January 31, 2013 at 5:00 PM

RWL…You are correct. As a Professional Driver, it drives me insane to see a trucker "pushing" someone down the road. We ourselves always talk about how if a 4 wheeler hits their brakes after cutting us off, they're doomed 'cuz we cant stop in time. But then, you see Pro drivers pushing people down the road. Not saying thats what caused this, but as Pro's, we need to lead by example. I say, let the idiots be idiots. Its monkey see monkey do on the highways anymore. I dont care where I'm going, or how late I am, its not worth killing someone over or dying for to get there. It dont matter if you're 10 minutes late or an hour late, you're already late.

Katlyn said:
      January 31, 2013 at 5:58 PM

For real!! My dad is also a professional truck driver. He actually lives in Danville not far from where this accident was. He would say the exact same thing. I am so glad I moved to California after living in Indianapolis for 20 years. I don't miss the snow and ice.

debbie said:
    January 31, 2013 at 5:11 PM

thats sad i hope everyone ok

skitz said:
    January 31, 2013 at 6:08 PM

this is why i avoid the interstates around indianapolis…. people drive too close to the car in front of them and too fast for the conditions…. there is a reason why the speed limit is what it is…. but, when snow, rain, cold come into play the optimal speed limit is not what is posted. i see speed limit signs that show a normal speed limit with a secondary sign for "trucks",…. do we seriously need to add a sign for "in adverse weather conditions???" people this is the mid-west

Indyracer57 said:
    January 31, 2013 at 6:31 PM

Speed and following to close is what this crash.

Alondra Campa said:
    January 31, 2013 at 7:54 PM

poor elephant

January 31, 2013 at 8:15 PM

My FD crew was on scene. A whiteout came through this area and the onset was very rapid, no warning. I personally witnessed the whiteout. The roads were almost instantly slick. Word of mouth is only 10 transports to hospitals from this ordeal. I will not give updates on my patient but it was bad. ACCIDENTS happen. I understand people need to place blame, but pure and simple truth (although never pure and rarely simple), is weather was the factor. None of those drivers had a chance to react in that whiteout. As far as I know, no fatalities. Pray to your faith of choice and give your thoughts and prayers to everyone affected. Some are fighting for their lives, some will be struggling financially now. And other are just trying to understand what happened.

Perry wilson said:
      February 1, 2013 at 12:25 PM

I like UR comments!

Chris said:
    January 31, 2013 at 8:50 PM

To all the stupid posters speaking about how the drivers of the vehicles need to learn how to drive. Imagine driving in clear conditions and suddenly within seconds, the world is completely white and you can't see a foot in front of your vehicle. Everyone tries to slow down or stop as they cannot see but unfortunately everyone is not wired or programmed together and people stop at different times causing chain reactions. The road is slick because it has been snowing off and on all day. And suddenly vehicles start hitting one another. Next time you criticize someone, perhaps you need to take a second yourself, put yourself in the conditions stated by the news, and realize that even as smart as you think you are, you would have gotten in an accident as well

Uclid said:
    January 31, 2013 at 10:10 PM

IF EVERYONE WOULD DRIVE LIKE THE DRIVERS MANUAL STATES…THERE WOULDNT BE EVEN ONE ACCIDENT!!!!

Anonymous said:
    January 31, 2013 at 11:49 PM

TAILGATING? PROFESSIONAL TRUCK DRIVERS? Are you kidding me? Stop blaming truck drivers. Truck drivers are just like everyone else that is driving. There are good and bad ones. Same as four wheelers. Some are good and some are bad. I’m pretty sure this wreck was caused by the white out. I hope everyone is okay. God bless!

RLaw said:
    February 1, 2013 at 12:24 AM

Just like everyone else driving 40,000 pounds.

Anonymous said: