Education

Several school districts announce delays and closings due to cold

Parents were already talking about Friday morning’s wait at the bus stop, Thursday afternoon.

Indianapolis Public Schools is taking a wait-and-see approach on whether to delay bus routes, but doctors are urging everyone to avoid being outside if you can.

“There’s two nice lovely churches here. Is there a reason why the churches can’t open their doors for children to step in?” said K. Valentine, whose child goes to school at IPS.

“You definitely need a long-term exposure to get frostbite,” said Dr. Aaron Holsinger, a physician at Indiana University Health Methodist Hospital. “That being said, when it gets cold, if you’re out at a specific amount of time, you’re at a high risk. “

It’s something Kim Epps of Indianapolis knows too well. She nearly lost two of her toes after suffering from frostbite while stationed in Germany more than 20 years ago.

“When I woke up, I felt tingling in my fingers,” she said. “When they got out of the foxhole, they pulled my gloves off and my fingertips and everything were blue, purple and black.”

Epps still feels the numbness and lingering effects every winter. She can barely be outside for more than five minutes.

“My little guy was in Boy Scouts and they would go camping in the winter. I just wouldn’t go,” said Epps. “I can’t just stand out there with him.”

Epps said it doesn’t matter if you’re in Germany or Indiana, dangerously cold temperatures are no joke.

An IPS spokesperson tells Fox59  thatthe district will be monitoring the weather closely in the next 12 hours. They will make a decision by Friday 6 a.m.

13 Comments to “Several school districts announce delays and closings due to cold”

michael said:
    January 31, 2013 at 8:57 PM

Will Carmel clay schools have 2 hour delay or closing tomorrow?

mr klotzner said:
      February 1, 2013 at 4:19 AM

posted below on your question they are on a 2 hr delay i received a call last night around 9 pm telling me they are on a delay my kids go to carmel clay schools

Paula said:
    January 31, 2013 at 9:03 PM

Will Beech Grove schools have a 2 hour delay or a closing tomorrow? Please tell me the answer cause I can't really find out anywhere else.

Jessica said:
      January 31, 2013 at 9:55 PM

Beech Grove has a 2 hour delay.

Wear a Scarf said:
    January 31, 2013 at 9:33 PM

Having grown up in NYC, we cannot believe that the children who wait at bus stops in Hamilton county, with their fathers warm in their SUVs, are at any risk of getting frostbite. Even the kids who walk to school aren't walking in tanks and cut offs. Two hour delay means less pay and greater risk for termination. Wonder if the superintendent of Carmel schools ever thought about that.

Datroof said:
    January 31, 2013 at 9:39 PM

I agree. I don't reminisce and say to myself " man I wish I had my fingers… #%^>€!ing walking to school in the winter sucked!!!! And we wonder why they ( anyone who doesn't live in Carmel) thinks we're pampered… I'm sending my kid to the superintedent's house @ 7 in crocs and shorts!

bobby said:
    January 31, 2013 at 10:28 PM

Not IPS…. and miss breakfast…not a chance..(eyes rolling)

Kelly Love said:
    February 1, 2013 at 3:02 AM

Nothing has change ” 20 years ago it was the same thing. I.P.S to me cared about the kids education, but never cared what they had to suffer to get it. I still have my hands to go numb from waiting on a school bus.

mr klotzner said:
    February 1, 2013 at 4:17 AM

carmel clay schools are on a 2 hr delay received a call last night around 9pm from the school superintendent

February 1, 2013 at 6:24 AM

People are so rude when it comes to IPS.Why Breakfast at school have any thing to do with this???? Wow the maturity in this……

bobby said:
    February 1, 2013 at 7:52 AM

Dr White is hesitate to cancel school since thousands of children use
    the universial feeding system..in place in most Ips schools..huh…that is what it has to do with this….nothing wrong with the education,js we would feed our children if they missed a few minutes of instruction due to extreme temps.

K-anne said:
    February 1, 2013 at 8:04 AM

I posted on another thread about how SICK I am of IPS being the ONLY school not to delay! Its a shame that some kids have to suffer b/c of POS parents who cant feed there kids breakfast! What do they do on the weekends & during breaks? People should have to have a license to have kids. & dont say well some people are poor…etc, there are lots of food programs out there.

mitchell said:
    March 5, 2013 at 8:55 PM

do hamilton southeastern schools have a 2-hour delay or a snow day!!