New home sought for abandoned dog that was shot, left for dead

WESTFIELD – The search is on for the person who shot an American bulldog and left him for dead in Westfield.

When the dog was rescued, he didn’t have any tags or a computer chip so the Humane Society for Hamilton County named him Cupid because he was found close to Valentine’s Day.

Cupid’s ordeal started about a week ago.  It was a cold day and he followed a little boy home from school and collapsed on his porch and wouldn’t move.

That’s when Wes Rood with the City of Westfield Street Team was called in to pick him up.

“He had some sort of injury, it was cold and it was also curled up in a ball,” Rood said.

So he took him to the Humane Society, and Cupid was in bad shape.

“We immediately knew that he was shot,” said Rebecca Stevens, executive director of the Humane Society for Hamilton County.  “We didn’t know exactly how many times but we got him to Parkside Animal Hospital.”

He was shot twice in the stomach with a handgun.  The Humane Society nursed him back to health.  Now, they’re trying to find Cupid a permanent home and the person who did this.

“He’s a very lucky boy,” said Stevens.  “One of the bullets entered through his front leg and exited through his chest and the other one went through his upper abdomen and lodged in his sternum.  It did not hit any vital organs.”

Because the bulldog survived something as horrific as that, they knew he had a strong heart and they named him Cupid.

“And we hope that he’ll be able to fill up somebody’s heart pretty soon,” Stevens said.

12 Comments to “New home sought for abandoned dog that was shot, left for dead”

Rob T said:
    February 7, 2013 at 4:54 PM

I wish I could give this beautiful dog a home :( I HOPE THEY FIND THE REAL ANIMALS THAT DID THIS!

Nic bailey said:
    February 7, 2013 at 5:00 PM

whats the contact info for the dog
    were looking for another dog and would love to see him and see if your dog would get along

Amanda R. said:
      February 7, 2013 at 9:54 PM

Hi Nic, I volunteer at the Humane Society for Hamilton County. If you are interested in adopting Cupid, you can contact the shelter for details. As he is still healing, he will not be available for adoption right away, but you can at least put your name in at the shelter. Hope this helps!

LeAnna said:
    February 7, 2013 at 5:20 PM

i wish i could take him but right now we are going to be having a baby! Hope you find a good home for him and find the person who did this to him!

BOBBI said:
    February 7, 2013 at 5:33 PM

I WANT HIM !! I HAE BEEN LOOKING FOR A DOG FOR SOME TIME NOW ! WHO DO I CONTACT FOR THE INFORMATION ON WHEN HE CAN BE RELEASED

Amanda R said:
      February 7, 2013 at 9:53 PM

Hi Bobbi, I volunteer at the Humane Society for Hamilton County. If you are interested in adopting Cupid, you can contact the shelter for details. As he is still healing, he will not be available for adoption right away, but you can at least put your name in at the shelter. Hope this helps!

Sam said:
    February 7, 2013 at 5:38 PM

I own a half British and half American Bulldog and he is part of the family he is a wonderful dog with a great temperament, and it is terrible what happened to Cupid. I agree with the post I have seen on here that I truly hope the catch the real animals that did such a horrible thing. I wish I could bring Cupid into our home but I don’t have the financial means to do so. I hope they find him a good home. The person/people that have done this terrible act must truly not have a heart or conscience.

Carmel said:
    February 7, 2013 at 10:04 PM

Some people have no heart. How could anyone do this ?

lisa said:
    February 7, 2013 at 10:44 PM

Cupid looks like a really great addition to anyone's family, best wishes little one.

sean said:
    February 7, 2013 at 10:48 PM

I would love to adopt cupid!!! Have no idea who to contact??? I do not do the face book or the twitter.

Jacki said:
    February 7, 2013 at 11:53 PM

I do not think this is an American bulldog, feel sorry for the dog though

Brenda Taylor said:
    February 8, 2013 at 10:50 PM

We just rescued a dog from the Indy Humane Shelter, but because we want to help, we will pay his adoption fees and medical fees for anyone that will rescue him; I believe there are far more decent people than bad in the world, and whoever did this will get what they have coming; please let me know how we can help…