Officials identify toddler after taking her mother’s boyfriend into custody
Marion officials have identified a toddler who died while in the care of her mother’s boyfriend.
Arianna Carmack, 2, suffered from what is considered a “flash burn” from an unidentified chemical, the coroner said Thursday. A flash burn is caused by sudden exposure to heat. While the flash burn injuries are considered non-life threatening, officials believe the burns contributed to her death.
Carmack sustained injuries to her head, chest and back area. She also had multiple bruises on her lower extremities, the coroner said, but they appeared to be in the healing stages.
An official cause of death will not be released until toxicology results are available.
The mother’s boyfriend, Donald Riddle, was taken into custody and has been charged with neglect of a dependent resulting in death.