Certain phone numbers are running out—and that means changes could be on the way for people who have phone numbers with an 812 area code.
The 812 area code serves south central and southern Indiana. The Indiana Utility Regulatory Commission projects that no new phone numbers will be available by March 2015.
According to presiding Commissioner Larry Landis, population growth, economic progress and the demand for new services from cell phones, computers and fax machines is forcing the IURC’s hand.
“If left unaddressed, there would come a time when existing and new customers would be unable to receive a telephone number in the 812 area code because there are no further 812 numbers available,” Landis said.
To fix the problem, the North American Numbering Plan Administrator (NANPA) filed a petition that covers seven options. The alternatives include different combinations of geographical overlays and splits.
Before making a decision, the IURC will discuss the possible solutions in a series of meetings around the state.
Those meetings include:
- Terre Haute – Monday, March 4, 2013 at 6:00 p.m. EST; Terre Haute City Hall, Courtroom, 17 Harding Avenue, Terre Haute, IN 47807
- Bloomington – Thursday, March 7, 2013 at 6:00 p.m. EST; Bloomington High School South, Auditorium, 1965 S. Walnut, Bloomington, IN 47404
- Jeffersonville – Monday, March 11, 2013 at 6:00 p.m. EST; Jeffersonville High School, Auditorium, 2315 Allison Lane, Jeffersonville, IN 47130
- Evansville – Tuesday, March 19, 2013 at 6:00 p.m. CST; Washington Middle School, Auditorium, 1801 Washington Avenue, Evansville, IN 47714
- Vincennes – Wednesday, March 20, 2013 at 6:00 p.m. EST; Vincennes Lincoln High School, Auditorium, 1545 S. Hart St. Road, Vincennes, IN 47591
- Bedford – Monday, March 25, 2013 at 6:00 p.m. EST; Bedford North Lawrence High School, Performing Arts Center/Schafer Auditorium, 595 Stars Boulevard, Bedford, IN 47421
- French Lick – Monday, April 1, 2013 at 6:00 p.m. EST; Springs Valley Junior-Senior High School, Auditorium, 326 S. Larry Bird Boulevard, French Lick, IN 47432
- St. Meinrad – Tuesday, April 2, 2013 at 6:00 p.m. CST; St. Bede Theater, Saint Meinrad Archabbey, 200 Hill Drive, St. Meinrad, IN 47577
- North Vernon – Wednesday, April 10, 2013 at 6:00 p.m. EST; Jennings County Middle School, Auditorium, 820 West Walnut, North Vernon, IN 47265
- St. Leon – Thursday, May 2, 2013 at 6:00 p.m. EST; East Central High School, Auditorium, 1 Trojan Place, Suite A, St. Leon, IN 47012
The sessions will include a briefing on the process that starts 30 minutes before each scheduled meeting.
Anyone who’s unable to attend the meetings can still comment by writing to the Office of Utility Consumer Counselor (OUCC). You can visit the agency’s website for more information.
For more information about the area code relief options being proposed, the IURC has the petition and maps of the alternatives online.