Education

Teacher placed on leave following controversial statements about gay students

A Southern Indiana teacher has been placed on administrative leave following her controversial comments about gay students.

Diana Medley made disparaging remarks about gay students at a meeting she attended to support a so-called “traditional prom” at Sullivan High School.

The district’s superintendent said the teacher and the school have received “aggressive emails” since her comments.
A statement was released Wednesday.
“In response to our concerns for the safety and security of everyone in our buildings, we have placed the employee at the center of this concern on administrative leave,” the release said.

The school has maintained it never supported the idea of banning gay students from the prom.

30 Comments to “Teacher placed on leave following controversial statements about gay students”

sick of tolerance. said:
    February 20, 2013 at 8:31 PM

Odd how her comments were correct, they (g@ys) serve no purpose. They can't reproduce, are mentally unstable as in: a guy with female emotions? or a girl with male emotions? wtf, The ACLU has sued to give them the power to be obscene, adopt kids, and are currently fighting to be "married". get back in the closet where you belong, I don't want to see or hear about them any more.

John Smith said:
      February 20, 2013 at 8:50 PM

Gee, that's too bad. We're here, and we're not going anywhere. Maybe one of the reasons God created gays was to control the population. It could be that, when He said, "Be fruitful and multiply," He didn't intend for straight people to breed to the point that a large number of us were homeless and/or starving. If that's true, there need to be more gays.

Brian said:
        February 20, 2013 at 8:58 PM

Gay is a sickness that shouldn't go unnoticed. You people need help and not in the way of KY

rene said:
        February 20, 2013 at 9:51 PM

God did not creat gays,infact he turned a whole city into stone that was full of gays.Read the bible and you will clearly see he did not creat them.The devil did

Jonesey said:
        February 21, 2013 at 1:02 AM

You know what ELSE God said? "Judge not, lest ye be judged." You may not agree with the lifestyle, but hate is wrong. Read the bible. Let God sort out who's going to Heaven and Hell.

jay said:
        February 20, 2013 at 10:32 PM

There are no gay people, just weak people. God asks everyone to love him more than you love yourself or your desires. Any sexual sin is "as bad" as homosexuality. You are asked to deny your desires and love God more. It's that simple. How could a priest, who makes a vow of celibacy a foundation of his promise to God, have ANY sexuality…let alone being a pedophile? All people have all kinds of desires sexually. Some choose not to act on them. Some choose Biblical morality their guide. The truth is, all sexual sin, and all other sin is wrong. We should avoid it. God did not make "gay" people…he made weak people.

Brian said:
      February 20, 2013 at 8:59 PM

Im glad they are in the military now. Someone has to clean the latrines and sweep for mines on the battlefield.

titvr said:
        February 21, 2013 at 12:56 AM

That's a totally unnecessary comment. Quite sick actually, although I'm sure you consider yourself to be 'Christian'.

cdcs said:
      February 20, 2013 at 9:41 PM

sick is a good name for you. you have had your moment in the spotlight, now crawl back under your rock where your ideas belong.

You Sicken Me said:
    February 20, 2013 at 8:36 PM

I don't want to see people like you breed. You sicken me.

sick of tolerance. said:
      February 20, 2013 at 8:54 PM

probably can't see past that @ss your pummeling.

Brian said:
    February 20, 2013 at 8:52 PM

Never ever in a catholic schoo. Diana you should consider taking a job at a catholic school where we are disease free from this sick people. Remember God made Adam and Eve NOT Adam and Steve. No no no, not in my house.

Jonesy said:
      February 21, 2013 at 1:04 AM

You're a really sad excuse for a Catholic. God is love beyond everything else. You may not agree with the lifestyle, but you don't have to live that way. No matter what the reason or motivation, HATE is evil.

Ambr Currin said:
        February 21, 2013 at 12:37 PM

Hell the Catholic priest is the main ones rapping little boy’s!! Everybody need to mind the business ..

sick of tolerance. said:
    February 20, 2013 at 9:01 PM

Nicki Minaj's but t is huge, I mean dump truck huge. but it is still better than Adam's or Steve's

Brian said:
      February 20, 2013 at 9:05 PM

They are better off in the closet where than be real close to each other and out of the spotlight.

Brian said:
    February 20, 2013 at 9:08 PM

Im catholic and when I blink and they are gone back behind closed doors.

sick of sick people said:
    February 20, 2013 at 9:15 PM

One of two probabilities exist here:

1. sick of tolerance is an inexperienced troll practicing on the Fox 59 news website.

2. sick of tolerance is in fact so deep in the closet he's finding Christmas presents, and uses the Fox 59 website to perpetuate the illusion of his hetro-normalicy.

Either way, it's getting worked up on the Fox 59 website, and it's hilarious.

sick of tolerance. said:
      February 20, 2013 at 9:47 PM

you didn't number 3rd point you made. I'm here for the laughs dude.

RWL said:
    February 20, 2013 at 9:24 PM

Leaver alone!

joe-joe2 said:
    February 20, 2013 at 10:09 PM

Good………….she has NO business in a classroom.

tiredofbigotassholes said:
    February 20, 2013 at 11:16 PM

if you homophobic freaks really know the bible they destroyed the cities because of the violent nature not the act you so called straight people need to get a life

"Proud" American said:
    February 21, 2013 at 1:57 AM

It disgusts me to see all these anti – gay comments, and bible pushing. wtf people? the heart wants what the heart wants, and the bible is just a book, based on what someone wrote down. this is the same crap that the slaves had to go through before they were treated equal. why why why to you people have to hate and judge?

No faith in Society! said:
    February 21, 2013 at 7:37 AM

Society is so stupid….What I don't get is how people can sit there and say others are wrong because of their sexual preferences..hummm, isn't judging others a sin? just think about that for a while…you are no better with your bible pushing uneducated comments, and I'm not even gay! You may know the bible, but you don't know what homosexuality is all about or like, so your comments are uneducated rubbish; I bet any gay person would tell you that is not just the sexual lifestyle, its about love, companionship, friendship etc…oh wait, that sounds just like my straight lifestyle! Fact is the bible is a matter of interpretation, each person will interpret it differently, so we really will never know for sure what GOD does or doesn't want. Speaking of which, when will society ever learn that its ok to be different, last time I check everyone breaths, eats, and bleeds the same, no one bleeds gold so you are not better than any other person on this earth!

stop the haters said:
      February 21, 2013 at 8:31 AM

I couldn't agree more. First of all do any of you who keep preaching the Bible think that someone would choose to be gay, and undergo continuous judgement, bullying, fear, and in some cases pure hate? No, people are born gay, and like "No Faith in Society" pointed out, it has nothing to do with the sexual lifestyle anymore than it is for me as a heterosexual. It is about love, companionship and friendship. Also this is about a teacher in a public school (remember separation of church and state people?). She chose to make her comments which I agree are her constitutional right but she is also in a position where she teaches children, and most would agree that teachers are responsible for teaching our children to appreciate the differences in each other. You need to stop judging others and worry about your own behavior.

February 21, 2013 at 8:41 AM

>No, people are born gay,

No. They're not.

With no fanfare or news broadcast, in late 2012, scientists released data from years of studies that concludes there is no "gay gene." Period. Of course, they had other factors they beleived that led up to it but the point is there is no genetic reason for homosexuality.

Why would anyone chose to be gay considering the destructive attributes you ascribed to it?

Same reason someone would chose to do heroin. Because in their mind it is the "right" thing to do and to them it makes them feel good.

Lastly, if it isn't a choice then why do so many people move in and out of the lifestyle?

stop the haters said:
        February 21, 2013 at 10:07 AM

First of all, I assume you're speaking of the Santa Barbara study that there isn't a "gay gene" however the research shows that homosexuality is still caused by factors such as epi-markers which occur in the womb. https://instinctmagazine.com/blogs/blog/scientist….

February 21, 2013 at 10:34 AM

Yes, that's pretty much it. which is pretty funny.

With much aplumb they're giving these epi markers a sure bet…sort of the way they did the gene itself many, many years ago. And from a somewhat technical sense, what they're saying is googbly gook!

lol

avagram said:
    February 21, 2013 at 8:53 AM

I don't agree that the Bible is 'just something somebody wrote down' – I'd like to think I'm a Christian – but being a Christian doesn't mean that I'm judgmental or 'holier than thou.' I used to look at gay people with total disrespect until I began working with some really fine people who happen to have a different lifestyle than my own. I know a lot of great people – many that I admire for a variety of reasons – that are gay. I don't think it is mine to judge whether or not what they are doing is a sin. I know I have enough of my own sins and I don't want to add hate and judgment to that list! Regarding the teacher, I do think she has the right to say what she wants but I think making hurtful statements in a professional setting that would influence others (especially children) is something that shouldn't be tolerated.