Teen goes viral, lands job after walking miles for job interview

What started out as a miserable day battling an icy 10-mile walk for a job interview, ended with a job offer and social media fame for an Indianapolis teen.

It was all thanks to a chance encounter along the way.

Art Bouvier decided to delay the opening of his restaurant, Papa Roux Cajun Cooking, due to the snow and ice. It was when he was salting down his sidewalk that he noticed a young man, 18-year-old Jhaqueil Reagan, walking toward him with a determined look on his face.

“He came walking through the parking lot and cutting the corner to get down westbound on 10th Street and he says, ‘Excuse me, can you tell me how far it is to 10th and Sherman?’” said Bouvier, who also goes by Papa. “I looked at the ground, it’s all ice, and I said, ’10th and Sherman? That’s about six or seven miles away. You’re not going to get there anytime soon in this weather. You’ll probably need to take a bus, and he said, ‘Okay, thank you sir.’ And he just kept going.”

Not only was 10th Street icy, it doesn’t have a sidewalk for an extended stretch on the east side. Papa said that’s why he was surprised to run into Reagan again while driving down 10th Street 20 minutes later.

“I said, well how come you’re not on the bus?” Papa said. “He said, ‘I can’t afford the bus until I get a job.’”

Reagan told Papa that he was walking to a job interview for a minimum wage job at a local thrift store. Though Papa knew the interview was at 10th and Sherman, he soon found out that Reagan was actually living at 42nd and Post, nearly 10 miles away.

“I’m thinking to myself, here’s a kid walking almost 10 miles in the ice and slush and snow for the hope of a job at minimum wage,” Papa said. “That’s the kind of story your parents used to tell, my parents used to tell, up both ways in the snow.”

Papa gave him a ride the rest of the way, gave him money for lunch, and told him he’d try to see if he could find room for him in his kitchen if he still needed a job after the interview.

Papa then shared Regan’s story on Facebook. Within a few hours he had more than 7,000 likes.

“More likes than I have friends,” Papa said. “It’s been shared 1,200 times. I have no explanation for that.”

On Friday night that promise became reality. Papa, called Reagan and offered him a job. He also offered to pick him up and bring him in for his first shift.

“I’m lucky I met him,” Reagan said. “I’m really lucky I met him.”

Reagan said it’s been hard finding opportunities. He was forced to quit school two years ago when his mother died. He completed his GED while staying home to care for his siblings.

Now that he has a job, and a following on Facebook?

“It’s crazy. I don’t even know. It’s really crazy,” Reagan said. “My heart’s just racing right now. I’m just too excited, just excited to start.”

“I can show you the ropes tonight if you want. We’re really busy in there,” Papa said to Reagan.

“Thank you very much,” Reagan said.

Reagan’s story inspired an outpouring of support on Facebook. Several people offered to buy him a bus pass in order to make it to his new job, but that won’t be necessary. After seeing the story on Fox59, a representative with IndyGo offered him a complimentary one year bus pass.

168 Comments to “Teen goes viral, lands job after walking miles for job interview”

indy said:
    February 22, 2013 at 11:43 PM

GOD IS GOOD!

February 23, 2013 at 10:38 AM

god sure did a great job offing this guys mom and putting him in his difficult situation as well. Good luck to Mr. Reagan; it's great to see an inspiring story about something positive in the news these days. I'm not sure if the false little man in the sky deserves the credit.

February 23, 2013 at 12:18 PM

God is not a man in the sky friend. That is how the message was spread. Open your mind and the truth becomes obvious.

February 23, 2013 at 12:32 PM

You're not my friend bible thumper. I choose to surround myself with adults who take responsibility for their own actions and not believe in christian fairy tales.

Ken said:
        February 26, 2013 at 3:39 PM

Here's the deal mister.
        If I believe in God, and if there is none it won't cost me anything, and I am thrilled that my life was lived as a Christianh!!!
        If you are the non believer you say you are, When you pass on you had better be right think of hell.
        Madeline O'Hair: Just before the fella shot her in the head. I bet she prayed!!!
        Think about it.

March 1, 2013 at 2:58 PM

I don't think God would appreciate someone believing him as an "insurance policy" against "hell".

jjj said:
        February 23, 2013 at 12:22 PM

I'd be mad if people blamed god for my own determination too.

RWL said:
      February 23, 2013 at 12:13 PM

I believe in God too, but God is NOT in the employment business nor does he help ones get rich, make touchdowns, home runs, win NASCAR races.

He's word incourage ones to be hard working whitch pays off as it did for this youn man. If ones follow his word they are better fathers, mothers, teachers, WORKERS, etc.

Miracles from heave are created too many time for things that just happen, and God is blamed for too many bad things, like a little child died so "god needed another angle so he took (murderd) it." Or a disaster is call an act of God.

He helps ones endure adversities while we wait on a more permanent solution to mankinds problems,

HE'S KINGDOM.

Joe said:
        February 23, 2013 at 12:26 PM

I don't drink, I don't smoke, I don't use prescription or illegal drugs. I strive to be a positive force in the world.. God does nothing. A bunch of evolved monkeys wrote a book and called it the word of god.. It's not.. It's their own fantasy novel..

indy said:
        February 23, 2013 at 3:14 PM

Well God sure nds to help you spell, and get you in some grammar classes lmao!

indy said:
        February 23, 2013 at 3:15 PM

Well God sure nds to help you spell, and get you in some grammar classes lmao!

Read more: http://fox59.com/2013/02/22/teen-goes-viral-lands
        Read more at http://fox59.com/2013/02/22/teen-goes-viral-lands

February 23, 2013 at 7:27 PM

Allāhu Akbar!

Jesus Christ himself said:
        February 23, 2013 at 11:57 PM

Man, the crusades were a hoot!!! Go Jesus!

BMS said:
      February 24, 2013 at 8:31 AM

God? Are you serious this is perfect example of man taking care of man. God did NOTHING

Suzie Q said:
      February 24, 2013 at 10:14 AM

Um, no … Art Bouvier is good.

bean said:
      February 24, 2013 at 10:36 AM

im sure you'll wqant to blah blah blah about what im about to say, god is good? where was this god when his mother died and he as a kid was taking care of kids…… what? gods will? his plan to make this kid a stronger person? or the "he works in mysterious ways crap? why cant it be "Jhaqueil Reagan is good!" or "Papa is good" ….instead of taking this very touching warm and fuzzy feeling story and ……. ah whatever.. good luck with that.
      good =god
      not good = something else?

Intelligent said:
      February 24, 2013 at 7:09 PM

Easter Bunny is Good!

wounded_defecator said:
      February 24, 2013 at 9:37 PM

It’s likely that most of these smarmy comments are from tax-feeding parasites (ie, pigs, teachers and video-gaming military) who seek to commit the civilized to serfdom.

Scott said:
        February 25, 2013 at 5:48 PM

God is GREAT

Blondie said:
      February 26, 2013 at 7:29 AM

ALL THE TIME!

Carol Mitchell said:
      February 26, 2013 at 11:01 AM

This young man should be an inspiration to everyone. I wish everyone had a backbone such as his.

Tom said:
      February 26, 2013 at 12:03 PM

Yes – God is good and works in mysterious ways.
      One time I was so low being unemployed I plucked up courage and asked for his help.
      The next day the phone rang asking me if I was free for an interview.
      I was spooked out !!!
      If never forgotten to this day.

natas said:
      February 26, 2013 at 12:53 PM

66 hail satan

Aussie said:
      February 26, 2013 at 8:41 PM

Which God?

February 27, 2013 at 10:37 AM

There is only One.

Erin said:
      February 27, 2013 at 11:06 AM

LOL, you're a moron. That guy's name is Art Bouvier and IndyGo hooked him up with the bus pass, this has nothing to do with your idea of "God" so just stop.

Tracy said:
    February 23, 2013 at 12:24 AM

Now this is what I call news! Such a great story!

amanda said:
    February 23, 2013 at 12:28 AM

I don't know many adults who would walk that far for a job and definitely no teenagers. I wish him the best of luck!

Morris Kim said:
    February 23, 2013 at 12:46 AM

Good news for a change :-)

Indyonthecheap said:
    February 23, 2013 at 12:47 AM

Both sides of this story are wonderful. This is what makes this world worth living in.

Jasmine said:
    February 23, 2013 at 1:18 AM

I commend this young man and the store owner also. These are the uplifting stories we need to hear more often. I wish this young man the very best and hope that others are inspired by his story.

Bar said:
    February 23, 2013 at 6:09 AM

God said you take one step I will take 3 not only did he get a better job hr received way to get there. See what determination get you. God is truly great.

RWL said:
      February 23, 2013 at 12:19 PM

Where in the Bible does it say "God said you take one step and ill take three"???

It doesn't, that's why the Bible and TRUE Christians are laughed at by many is because there are many who who are NOT Christian that know the Bible better than, So called Christian.

badhatharry said:
      February 24, 2013 at 2:33 AM

Did god also say, "Hey, watch me kill your mom?"

Laura said:
      February 26, 2013 at 2:43 PM

Amen!!!

vicki said:
    February 23, 2013 at 8:10 AM

I think fox should help out by taking donatings for this kid if he is taking care of siblings and making minium wage I am sure even with food stamps or food pantries money is tight and it has been cold think about utilities and just keeping a roof over their heads. If he couldn’t afford the bus think about getting clothes socks personal hygiene products. There are so many people that will not fight as hard as he did to get a job this would not be a waste he is trying to succeed in a ecomony that is bound to hold someone back. Donatings could help him get that edge for him and his siblings to succeed

guest said:
      February 23, 2013 at 5:44 PM

if i could "thumbs up" this comment one hundred times I would. I just wish all teenagers had his determination, then maybe they wouldn't be looked down on so poorly (not trying to detreact from this wonderful story). May he build on this and realize a good work ethic will get you further in life and his foot in the door somewhere better and proving it can be done with a little bit of perseverance with trying to keep the family together. May he (the teenager) be able to repay it forward someday to some kid in need.

davidb said:
      February 23, 2013 at 8:49 PM

I'm with you Vicki! It sounds like he could use the help.

Rebecca said:
      February 26, 2013 at 12:04 PM

I agree with doing that. I also think a car should be donated to him so he can get back and forth. I would pay for his registration and car insurance. Kids like this are rare these days.

lee said:
      February 27, 2013 at 8:41 AM

Where do I send money, my heart goes out to people who don't let adversity stop them from trying

guest said:
      February 27, 2013 at 4:02 PM

I was thinking the same thing. The kid lost his mom at what, 16 yrs old? He still got his GED which shows determination but if we don't help our kids and young adults who are in impossible circumstances how do we expext them to succeed. I'm sure this kid has what it takes to keep fighting but imagine what he could achieve with a little help…

Larry said:
      March 2, 2013 at 8:36 AM

What? No offer of a donation vicki? Someone else is supposed to do the donating?

Loyal said:
    February 23, 2013 at 8:19 AM

Great story…that's the first white guy I've seen living at 42nd and Post in 25 years.

JBo said:
    February 23, 2013 at 9:08 AM

What a GREAT story. Timing IS everything. Reagan and Papa are both fine examples for all of us. Please let us know how they're doing in the future.

MeatPlow said:
    February 23, 2013 at 9:18 AM

Awesome, that is a miracle that they met at that chance time and place.

A gift given from a man is more powerful than a grant taken by a government.

RWL said:
      February 23, 2013 at 12:21 PM

Some times things JUST happen, NOT a miracle.

Roberta Blaine said:
    February 23, 2013 at 9:33 AM

Hey! A BUS PASS? How about an education! This kid has given up his dreams to care for a brother and sister. This state supports individuals who are too lazy to get off their backside and close a door; and, we give this kid a BUS PASS. While we run our mouths about how great it is to find a teen who will walk ten miles for a job interview, that's all we are willing to give. We give more than that to the Dog Pound. Save An Animal, throw a child awaY. Give me a break! I am challenging Channel 13, Channel 8, Channel 6 and Fox New to contibute substantially to this kids education. I have contacted Huntington Bank about setting up a college fund for this kid. They are going to get back to me today. All of you eat every meal out, IPhone, cable TV, high speed internet, two car, three car garage owners start thinking about putting your money where your mouth is. Quiet Frankly, you can't eat lip service.

Beckie said:
      February 23, 2013 at 12:57 PM

What else is the bus system, IndyGo, the people who gave him the pass, supposed to do? That's the ultimate thing they COULD do, give him a year long bus pass. A monthly pass is $60, and that's $720 a year that this young man doesn't have to spend.

Roberta Blaine said:
        February 23, 2013 at 11:35 PM

A scholarship maybe! They are alway looking for ways to push the idea of a first class transit system. They want the public to hand out to them, what is the problem with them handing out to the public. $720. Geeeeeeeeeee. If you were eighteen, your mother dead and a brother and sister to care for, how would you feel? There were,according to the news, 7000 comments. How about a $1.00 for every comment. $7000. dollars could really help that family. Oh, I forgot, they're not a family. A family is a Mommy, Daddy and two and a half kids. I'll get back to you after I talk with Huntington Bank on Monday. Just hold that thought–your heart is in the right place, it's your head we need to work on. You may be our hardest worker.

Chloe Marlene Scott said:
      February 23, 2013 at 8:39 PM

Roberta Blaine: Great comment!! Couldn't agree more!!

Roberta Blaine said:
        February 23, 2013 at 11:37 PM

I am working on getting an account set up with Huntington Bank for college. I'll get back to you.

Narda said:
      February 23, 2013 at 9:56 PM

Let me know if account gets set up! PLEASE.

Roberta Blaine said:
        February 23, 2013 at 11:38 PM

You can count on it. Just contact Huntington Bank any time after Monday, February 25th.

Larry said:
      March 2, 2013 at 8:39 AM

Roberta: Typical of someone that doesn't offer anything from themse;lves to expect others to
      give. Pathetic criticism of the generous gift of a bus pass that is very important to this MAN.

D F said:
    February 23, 2013 at 9:59 AM

Great story! I hope the guy works out–and why would he not!

Cindy G said:
    February 23, 2013 at 10:08 AM

If I lived in Indy first I would definatly make this mans restaurant on my #1 place to eat list, then I would tip the young man generously and if able I would contribute to a fund set up for him. Most people didn't want to go places in their cars in that weather and most certainly not on foot. Great story.

Roberta Blaine said:
      February 23, 2013 at 11:40 PM

I will be getting back to you because there will be a college fund for this young man.

Stephanie said:
        February 25, 2013 at 7:13 PM

Do you get the account set up? I agree that the young man could use a college fund, but he could probably use some help with feeding those siblings too….I would like to donate.

Shirley S. said:
    February 23, 2013 at 10:40 AM

The best news story I have heard in a very long time!

April said:
    February 23, 2013 at 11:41 AM

It just goes to show that there are still great and decent people in this world. I was very happy to hear Indy Go stepped in as well. Hope everything goes well for them.

Hate said:
    February 23, 2013 at 11:42 AM

“GOD” HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH IT. FOR FUCKS SAKE, KILL YOURSELF.

GOD said:
      February 23, 2013 at 12:24 PM

You are a sad person.

anit-everything guy said:
      February 23, 2013 at 12:28 PM

I'd be more worried about you out in public than I would be for the god person. At least they have love in their heart, and I am a non-believer.

I really think YOU should kill yourself.

February 23, 2013 at 5:05 PM

I detect good reason to be worried about you and him in public. Neither of you has love in your heart apparently. Both of you are encouraging a suicide. As for me, I encourage both of you to repent toward God and believe on the Lord Jesus Christ.

Joan said:
      February 23, 2013 at 7:26 PM

I'm sorry for you Mr. " Hate" !!! God has everything to do with it!! I'll be praying for you. God loves you reguardless of how you feel about Him.

Ya fuckin hater said:
      February 23, 2013 at 8:02 PM

Really dude COMMENTS like this should not be posted how about ya go get fuckin bent bastard

Roberta Blaine said:
      February 23, 2013 at 11:44 PM

We will be praying for you too. By the way maybe you could use some schooling to learn a vocabutary (words) large enough to express yourself without cursing.

Dan said:
      February 26, 2013 at 12:03 PM

people like you are the real problem with this great country today… I know too many just like you that will try to drag the other person down so you feel better about yourself…

Gord said:
      February 26, 2013 at 7:00 PM

Imagine, "God" actually loves you too!

Jorge said:
      February 26, 2013 at 7:23 PM

Truly, you are a perfect example of what being an imbecile is all about, you need to get educated before YOU get klled, moron.

Gray said:
      February 26, 2013 at 7:32 PM

While reading that lovely comment I'm not surprise that your name is Hate. Sounds like a lot
      of hate in your comment. I pray for any way.

Lori said:
    February 23, 2013 at 1:17 PM

Papa Roux has a new customer, I'll be there Monday for lunch.

Betty said:
    February 23, 2013 at 1:35 PM

Thank you Papa Roux for taking the initiative not only with the boy but advancing the story to Facebook for all to get involved! I also will be one of your new customers! HIP-HIP HOORAY FOR PAPA ROUX!

Eloise Hughes said:
    February 23, 2013 at 2:23 PM

What an inspiring story. God Bless, Papa Roux for helping this fine young man who was trying to help himself. We need more people in this world like both of these gentlemen.

s k said:
    February 23, 2013 at 2:26 PM

don't let Obama find ot. he wants everyone dependent on him.

Warty said:
      February 24, 2013 at 12:00 AM

Nope. We are dependent on great lord gun toting nigger hating Jesus. How's that NASCAR race going fuckstick?

alsdeb said:
        February 26, 2013 at 12:08 PM

What an idiot you are! You need to crawl back under your rock and quit making absolutely stupid comments about things you know nothing about.

w0oT! said:
    February 23, 2013 at 2:29 PM

Get a job you lousy……oh wait, never mind.

Diana said:
    February 23, 2013 at 2:31 PM

with all the negative & bad in the news everyday it is good to hear/see stories like this.
    Thank you Jesus there are still good things that happen.

Raffle said:
      February 23, 2013 at 11:53 PM

What's the difference between Jesus and Mexicans?
      Jesus doesn't have tattoos of Mexicans down his arm!

Jim said:
    February 23, 2013 at 2:56 PM

Where is the "Papa" restaurant? This man needs rewarded with an increase in business!

Sassy said:
      February 23, 2013 at 3:22 PM

10th and Post Road next to the day care center. He has a booming business. Best cajun food north or New Orleans. They came here after Katrine. Wonderful folks!!!

jjj said:
      February 24, 2013 at 1:07 AM

Limited hours, and extremely limited seating around lunchtime.

Judith said:
        February 24, 2013 at 5:08 PM

11 am – 8 pm is LIMITED??? But yeah seating is at a premium cause is soooooo popular. Been a Papa regular for a long time.

june said:
    February 23, 2013 at 3:25 PM

how old r is siblings and does he need some one to help watch them is so he can get in touch with me

betsey said:
    February 23, 2013 at 3:55 PM

any word on if there will be a fund set up for the family?

DTSmith said:
    February 23, 2013 at 4:12 PM

Obama isn't going to like this!

Indianapolis said:
      February 25, 2013 at 11:35 AM

Really?? That's what you wanted to post?

Boilergal said:
    February 23, 2013 at 5:32 PM

Papa's food is great and worth the trip to 10th and Post!!!! You can not leave hungry- and I am not surprised at all by Papa and Mama Roux!! You guys are the best!!! Good luck to this young man

Lee said:
    February 23, 2013 at 5:35 PM

Luck? This kid doesn't need luck. If he's willing to put in that kind of effort under those circumstances to get a job, how much more effort and initiative will he offer to keep one? This is someone that makes his own luck.

politijim said:
    February 23, 2013 at 5:37 PM

Please note he is a Bulls fan. Kind of offsets the "golfing on the job" of the most powerful one in DC.

milootoole said:
    February 23, 2013 at 6:01 PM

Probably one of those jobs Americans won't do. God bless you young man. I wish you great success in life.

Carolyn said:
    February 23, 2013 at 6:58 PM

Great story! Hope Papa' s restaurant goes viral, too.

Heather said:
    February 23, 2013 at 7:59 PM

We need more people OUT in the world like this man! Living these days are not easy anymore. Having people with hearts make life easier. This kid took on something he didnt need. We need more kids like him too, Taking care of his brother n sister is not easy God bless them. God and his angels was watching over him.

Mary E. Hughes said:
    February 23, 2013 at 8:32 PM

Why are we commenting on this great story and doing nothing. If each person who inquired about this touching story would contribute a dollar to this young man it would help him greatly. I am willing to give more than a dollar to him and say a SPECIAL THANK YOU TO PAPA ROUX.

gary said:
    February 23, 2013 at 9:24 PM

With that much determination he will go far at what ever he decides to do.

Penelope said:
    February 23, 2013 at 10:13 PM

I'm sure life has been tough for him and his siblings since his mom passed away. I hope someone helps him out with free daycare and he is able to get financial aide through the state if/when he wants to go back to school.

He is doing more than some parents out there that are a "two parent" family. Today is your day, Jhaqueil Reagan! Thanks for being diligent and showing up those who don't feel it is necessary to push themselves to be independent and take care of business!

click here said:
    February 23, 2013 at 10:25 PM

I made a review of this work from no home program. If you’re interested in making some money, you’ll definitly want to check this video out

kharil said:
    February 24, 2013 at 3:38 AM

Im am crying right now and not much brings me to tears! God bless this young man!

Daniel said:
    February 24, 2013 at 6:09 AM

There are alot of people on here talking about a contribution fund for this young man. Is there anyone in this thread that has any specific account that has been set up???

Rick said:
    February 24, 2013 at 8:25 AM

This Kid is going to grow up as one of our country's beloved citizens. He has the guts and loyalty to take care of his family and still go out to work for their living. I would have hired him up in a minute if I could do that. Whatever the job calls for, he would be the teamplayer who works hard and not complain a bit, and even say an encourging word to his coworkers. This type of courage needs to be spread throughout this generation. A new hunger awaken in America for work and building would reshape our country in a paradise in freedom.

drifter said:
    February 24, 2013 at 10:35 AM

Anybody that does not hire him is an idiot. This lad is going to be going places. Congrats Tiger–the world is yours! Drifter

Karen said:
    February 24, 2013 at 11:37 AM

Such a good kid, and polite to boot! Very rare nowadays!

indigo said:
    February 24, 2013 at 12:08 PM

To everyone who insists we give him more: The sacrifice and hard work he has demonstrated should be rewarded with opportunity not handouts. Handouts are why we are so hungry for stories like this. When this young man succeeds and is successful he will have done it by his own sweat and determination. Do not rob him of this. I came from a house without running water or glass in the windows, We stapled plastic over them. I am now an engineer and take care of my parents and i would not trade that for anything.

Arlette said:
    February 24, 2013 at 3:31 PM

Thanks Tammy for sharing. Congradulations Art. I know that it was just you being you. We need more of you in the wrld.

Indianapolis said:
    February 25, 2013 at 11:51 AM

Because there are so many blogs out there that tear down others, I try not to read them. But I am thankful for all of you who have commented positively and I feel such a warm sense of community. Thank you for your support of one of our own Hoosier teens: Jhaqueil Reagan

Fox59 thank you for airing this story. It's refreshing to hear "good" news.. too.

Art Bouvier Rocks!!! You ARE just being you. It shows in all that you do.

I am proud of Jhaqueil. He is a very determined and motivated young man. He's got a lot of burdens many of us did not have as a teen and I am humbled by his story. Yes, I am absolutely sure he needs assistance, and it will start with this job. As many have stated before me, I am willing to help in anyway that is needed.

nikkifrankhamilton said:
    February 25, 2013 at 12:09 PM

Incredible!!!! What a great story, people are good, give them a chance to do good for you!

local citizen said:
    February 25, 2013 at 1:31 PM

The Papa Roux owner just made the best decision of his life helping this 18-year-old. Not only did he aid a young man trying to feed his family, but also will increase his business tenfold. This is the ultimate marketing strategy, it costs Papa Roax zero dollars and has media coverage, viral presence, and the support of his local community now. I wouldn't be surprised if he opened up a few more stores around the area. It just goes to show what helping out the community can really do for your business.

Samantha said:
    February 25, 2013 at 2:04 PM

I usually avoid the news because anymore its been depressing and upsetting if it wasn't for the viral posts of this wonderful story I could have missed it. This young mans hard work and determination will pay off for sure… God is great.

Judee said:
    February 26, 2013 at 12:37 PM

Smart new boss! I'm sure the young man will be a great worker. He will move up the ranks. I wish them both great success. Wonderful story!

Ernie Kaputnik said: