IndyGo gives teen determined to find a job a one-year bus pass

IndyGo is stepping up to help a young man who trudged through the cold weather for the chance to land a job.

Jhaqueil Reagan was making a long trek in cold weather, when he had a chance encounter with the owner of Papa Roux Cajun cooking.tickets

Owner Art Bouvier gave the teen a ride and then decided to give him a job at the restaurant after seeing his commitment to getting a job by walking for miles in the snow.

The kindness spread. Now, IndyGo is presenting Reagan with a bus pass so he can get to his new job and back home again without having to walk.

“Just seeing someone with that type of determination, you can’t do anything but help,” said Paula Haskin.

Haskin said she saw the story on Fox59 and was inspired to help. She spoke with her supervisor to get Reagan the year-long bus pass.

Related Stories:

24 Comments to “IndyGo gives teen determined to find a job a one-year bus pass”

DeeDee75 said:
    February 26, 2013 at 7:42 AM

Good job, young man!

Lady M said:
    February 26, 2013 at 8:29 AM

This is now a front page news story on major UK and European newspapers! That's one tenacious and hard working kid and many many people are talking this!

February 26, 2013 at 9:49 AM

I hate to be the skeptic here but I'm not buying all of this.

Has the media confirmed any of it?

The boy lives in the Indy DMZ of 42nd/Post yet was walking to near downtown for a minimum wage job at a thrift store?

There's plenty of no-skill jobs in that area for the boy to pick and choose from.

In fact he just needs to wait several years and apply at DFAS and become one of the many government employees who have no skills and are compensated well for it!

Ba-da-bump!

lol

cjmo2662 said:
      February 26, 2013 at 11:10 AM

While that area is saturated with businesses, maybe they just aren't hiring right now because they don't need help. In many fast-food places, after the holidays thru mid-March business tends to be slower & they usually have to cut hours for current employees, so they usually don't hire unless someone leaves.

Tia said:
      February 26, 2013 at 11:33 AM

Really u have no idea what the REAL world consist of do u even know about that area

February 27, 2013 at 8:26 AM

Yes, I do. It's full of crime, dependency, and scum.

Luke said:
      February 26, 2013 at 1:40 PM

Never fails… You turn Negative on every post! Why won't you just go ahead and die?

February 27, 2013 at 8:26 AM

I will die. Everyone will. But not due to your dislike of opposing opinion.

Moron. :)

cjmo2662 said:
    February 26, 2013 at 11:06 AM

I think it's great that he showed how he really wants a job & is willing to do what it takes. The bus passes are a great help also; sometimes we all need a break! I hope the job works well for him.

Gregory Reagan said:
    February 26, 2013 at 2:38 PM

this young man is my son and i know he has more heart than any bigger man i know..those of you that are skeptic..you have no idea of what this kid has done in his life to over come all the odds i m so proud of you jhaqueil ..good for you son ..i love you with all my heart you truly are my rock..god bless you ..and thank you everyone for his support ..indy is the best city …i wish there were more people out here like Art Bouvier ..thank you for what you ve done for my son …..

disbeliever said:
      February 26, 2013 at 2:43 PM

If you are his dad, why aren't you helping the "family" out any? Did you leave them like most? Or does your welfare not cover enough.

disbeliever said:
    February 26, 2013 at 3:19 PM

What no welfare? His sibs should go to foster care. They'd prob be better off.

skeptic said:
      February 26, 2013 at 3:55 PM

His mother, Jodi, was a stay at home mom he has grandparents, aunts and uncles who live nearby and a sister in Arizona. Why are none of these people helping him and his brother and sister out?

Rhonda said:
    February 27, 2013 at 12:35 AM

Are you people living in the same country as I am. Maybe you are just more privileged than most. Maybe the other family members only have enough money to get by and they do support them, just not financially because they are unable to. He is stepping up and being a man by getting a job to help his dad with the hardships of being a single parent. Not by choice, but because God chose to call his wife home. Never judge a book by it's cover. Would you want someone judging you? Or are you just jealous because he wasn't sitting on a street corner begging for money. He was doing what he was raised to do and that is step up and be a man. He didn't have a car so he was walking. He didn't know how much farther his final destination was, so he asked a stranger. God worked through PaPa Roux and blessed this man with a job. He didn't ask for it, he worked for it. God provided. ENOUGH SAID

xcomb said:
    February 27, 2013 at 5:17 AM

Back when i was young, i walked 35 miles from Homestead to Miami with no money in the pocket, no food or place to sleep :)

витаплий said:
    February 27, 2013 at 7:01 AM

Рейган ты просто красавчик .у тебя большое будующе .я вот сижу в таджикистане и читаю статью про тебя .ну ты урасавчик просто .так держать старина .удачи тебе .с уважением виталий

KEITH said:
    February 28, 2013 at 1:47 AM

What is up with the negative? Whatever this young mans situation is it it is inspiring. Would you rather hear about someone that was stealing to support himself let alone his siblings. He wasnt even hitch hiking the 10 miles. You negatives need to eat some more steak and drink some more wine and think how about how lucky you really are. All things considered YOU COULD LOSE YOUR JOB AND ASSETTS TOMORROW. GIVE YOUR LOVED ONES A HUG AND A KISS BECAUSE LIFE CHANGES IN THE BLINK OF EYE!

keith said:
    February 28, 2013 at 2:15 AM

I am 52 years old and have worked since i was 17. Only in two jobs because I relocated to Florida to take care of my mom and dad who were in poor health otherwise it would have been only 1 job. Well after being here in my new job for 6 years and being promoted to a manager position. Unfortunately the store closed all it franchises here and I am unemployed but I am still taking care of my mom as my dad passed away. She would not be able to make it without my help, but my life is on hold as her well being and care is my main concern. We live together and I put 100% into taking care of her as she did me in my adolescence. I wish more people were as caring as the owner of PaPa Roux.