Restaurant theft suspect appears in court

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

The man accused in a string of restaurant break-ins heard the charges against him.

Kenneth Ward, 54, made an initial court appearance Monday. He faces three counts of burglary and other charges, including resisting arrest.

Police said Ward targeted restaurants around Central Indiana for two months—many of those businesses were Mexican restaurants. Surveillance cameras captured images of Ward, but police hadn’t been able to capture him until last week.

Detectives set up a sting operation and caught him breaking into a business on South East Street on the night of Feb. 24. When they tried to pull him over, Ward tried to get away.

According to court documents, he “jumped out of his truck while it was still moving.” A police dog eventually chased him down, but police said Ward injured the K-9 officer to the point where the dog had to see a vet.

Ward also ended up in the hospital because of injuries he suffered during the pursuit.

Upon his arrest, investigators said he may be involved in up to two dozen burglaries.

Police said cooperation between several departments led to his arrest, including the Speedway, Noblesville  and Mooresville police departments.