The Indiana House of Representatives is offering the public a new way to receive up-to-date information about the latest bills as they make their way through the legislative process.
“We must continue to embrace technology and consider new ways to communicate to the public while providing transparency,” said House Speaker Brian Bosma (R-Indianapolis). “This is a great way to get more people involved with what`s happening at the Statehouse.”
The text updates come as part of Bosma’s initiative to inform the public of Indiana House matters. In 2005, Bosma began live streaming House floor proceedings. Later in 2011, he made every House committee meeting available on the Internet. This past January, Bosma hosted ‘tweet seats,’ where seats were reserved for certain members of the public to tweet during the governor’s State of the State address. It was the first event of its kind, according to the National Conference of State Legislatures.
“As we continue to provide new transparency initiatives, it is my hope to expand this service to a more conclusive list of bills over time,” said Bosma. “It is imperative that the legislature be able to communicate in a variety of ways that is most conducive to the people we serve.”
The House bills currently included in the text messaging service are:
- HB 1001: Budget
- HB 1002: Indiana Career Council
- HB 1003: School Scholarships
- HB 1004: Early Education Scholarship Pilot Program
- HB 1005: Remediation
- HB 1006: Criminal Code
- HB 1007: Online Sales Tax Collection
- HB 1008: Various Education Matters
- HB 1040: Child in Need of Services Petitions
- HB 1041: Petitions to Modify Custody and Visitation
- HB 1123: Child Fatality Reviews and Commission on Children
- HB 1334: Various Education Matters
- HB 1387: Veterans` Service Officers
- HB 1483: Drug Testing
- HB 1524: Synthetic Drugs
There is no fee to subscribe to the service, but standard text messaging rates may apply. Users will be able to opt out of the service whenever they wish.
Sign up for the service here.