Spring starts later this week so now is the time to prepare for possible flooding.
Monday marked the beginning of Flood Safety Awareness Week.
The Indiana Department of Homeland Security says you should create a family emergency plan and put together a kit with food and other supplies.
A basic disaster supplies kit should include:
- One gallon of water per person per day for at least three days
- At least a three-day supply of non-perishable food
- A battery-powered or hand crank radio and a NOAA weather radio with tone
- A first aid kit
- Manual can opener
- Whistle to signal for help
- Dust mask
- Cellphone with chargers, inverter or solar charger
- Extra batteries for radios and flashlights
You should also clear brush from nearby storm drains to help minimize damage on your property.
Finally, make sure your flood insurance is up to date.