Steak n Shake facing another lawsuit

Indianapolis-based Steak n Shake is facing another lawsuit from a franchise owner.

The franchise owner is upset over pricing policies.  According to our partners at the Indianapolis Business Journal, the lawsuit focuses on how restaurants are prohibited from setting their own menu prices.

This is the second suit the company has faced over the matter. They lost the first suit.

This suit from a St. Louis-based company is seeking an injunction on the policy.

39 Comments to “Steak n Shake facing another lawsuit”

Katie said:
    April 10, 2013 at 10:26 PM

I like their prices. I can get a bacon steakburger and fries for less than $10!

Lu Plonski said:
    April 10, 2013 at 10:32 PM

Your a vicious person who shouldn't be allowed in any public place.. how dare you spout your HATE SPEECH here.!!.

April 10, 2013 at 10:33 PM

No doubt, piss-poor choice of a word, probably wouldn't be able to use a dictionary

April 10, 2013 at 10:35 PM

Really Fox??? You're gonna edit my word, p-i-s-s and let the queer used as a noun go by? How freakin stupid is that?

Abby said:
    April 10, 2013 at 10:33 PM

The phrasing in this article is confusing. Who is being sued here?

TNovak said:
      April 10, 2013 at 11:52 PM

A franchise owner is suing the parent company. Not confusing at all.

ajreal said:
        April 11, 2013 at 8:05 AM

it was confusing to me too but thanks for clarifying it instead of making people feel stupid about it

dan said:
        April 11, 2013 at 12:59 PM

dont worry about him, he needs make people feel bad to make himself feel better. lots of big smart people on he interwebs. Now I can do it to him, hey TNovak you like to eat poop. man do I feel better, oh wait I dont care :)

tim said:
        April 11, 2013 at 1:28 PM

Well it sure shows you are not very smart. If you are going to write something do it correctly. Oh forgot you probably don't know how. Now you eat poop.

dan said:
        April 11, 2013 at 4:07 PM

no I dont really give a darn about gramer on the web sorry. I have enough of that at school. thanks grammer nazi

Sharon said:
    April 10, 2013 at 10:37 PM

We use the coupons we get evety week, go during "Happy Hour" ang get good meals for around $20 for 2!! Love the milk shakes.

April 11, 2013 at 8:19 AM

$20 for 2?

You guys must be eating like hogs!

tim said:
        April 11, 2013 at 1:29 PM

Oh you tell them Mr wonderful

April 11, 2013 at 1:33 PM

That's Dr. Professor Mr. Wonderful to you!

Marcus said:
        April 11, 2013 at 1:40 PM

You mean Dr. Douche Mr. Bag right? You're such an idiot. I wish you would drive your vehicle (assuming you have one) into the abyss… all you do is make dumb un-informed comments and then m@asterb@te about them…

April 11, 2013 at 1:46 PM

>You mean Dr. Douche Mr. Bag right?

No. I mean exactly what I wrote.

lol…I'm glad you're so shallow, thin skinned, and idiotic that my comments drive you to rage and even more idiocy!

Marcus said:
        April 11, 2013 at 1:48 PM

Nope… Just funny to make you mad… I could care less, but just noticed that you always make racist and dumb comments so I thought I would have a little fun and turn the favor… Its actually quite humorous to me!

April 11, 2013 at 1:52 PM

>Just funny to make you mad…

Well if that's the truth (and highly doubt it is) then like most things in your life, you failed.

lol..idiot.

Marcus said:
        April 11, 2013 at 1:56 PM

Failed so much you continue to respond… Good call dip! You crack me up…

tim said:
        April 11, 2013 at 1:58 PM

Marcus you hit the nail on the head regarding that idiot. Good work.

April 11, 2013 at 2:03 PM

>Failed so much you continue to respond

Pretty much since you seem to invest so much emotion into message boards that mere words send you into rage and idiocy.

Oh…wait…that's right. You're not enraged. You always respond to people whose words offend you with stupidity and guttural language.

Gotcha.. LOL!

Marcus said:
        April 11, 2013 at 2:21 PM

You are so right that this is the only time I have ever commented… Way to pay attention… "LOL"

Gues said:
    April 10, 2013 at 10:40 PM

I wonder why the IBJ has such animosity for Steak n Shake…I visit almost daily…Free WIFI and great Chili…

April 10, 2013 at 10:46 PM

I think their prices are great. Kids eat free on the weekend. You can use multiple coupons. We always have good food, good service, and a good deal. I don't want them to change a thing! And their milkshakes are YUM!!

April 10, 2013 at 10:49 PM

I'm assuming the franchise owner wants to raise prices, but the policy won't allow them to?? Not sure, lots of missing info. Poorly written.

agreed. said:
      April 11, 2013 at 10:21 AM

That would be my guess as well. and yes, Fox 59 does not do a good job of writing these articles. Good thing they dont write the newspaper.

Tim said:
    April 10, 2013 at 11:29 PM

What's with all the very short stories on Fox 59? How about some details?

Iggy7303 said:
      April 11, 2013 at 2:55 AM

The other tv web sites are the same way. Very few details….no journalism applied.

agreed. said:
      April 11, 2013 at 10:20 AM

this is how Fox 59 reports the news. poorly written blog style with not much information. Its too bad the person who writes them does read this and start writing good articles.

April 11, 2013 at 8:21 AM

I'm no longer a big fan of S&S, at least the ones nearest to me. The one on Pendleton Pike near Sunnyside is disgusting. The last time I visited the tables were nasty, the menus greasy, and the staff shady looking.

There is one in southern Indiana, off 65 near Jeffersonville that is cleanly run and nice.

tim said:
      April 11, 2013 at 1:31 PM

Wish you would move there. No one cares about your opinions.

April 11, 2013 at 1:35 PM

Well…if I moved there I would still post here. Not sure what that has to do with anything.

And you cared enough to post that you didn't care.

Dumb azz!

tim said:
        April 11, 2013 at 1:53 PM

I give you that one about posting. That is all you do all day. Man you must have a productive life. Doubt it. You in your mobile home on the Pike all by your lonsome you sorry Bast**d

April 11, 2013 at 1:59 PM

>home on the Pike all by your lonsome you sorry Bast**d

haha…what an idiot. I happen to live in the Geist area but shame on your dumb azz for criticizing folks who happen to live in a trailer park.

gsm said:
        April 11, 2013 at 2:06 PM

Gee I live in Geist. Wow you are special. That doesn't change how stupid you are.

pete said:
    April 11, 2013 at 11:10 AM

Who cares about steak and shake? This company will not hire a convicted felon even if it was 70 yrs ago. Hope the go under !

anon said:
      April 11, 2013 at 3:20 PM

Hate to burst your bubble, but most places that handle money won't hire convicted felons.

tim said:
    April 11, 2013 at 2:03 PM

Oh goodie I live in Geist. Aren't you special. Gee I'm somebody I live in Geist and eat at the Steak and Shake by myseld (of course). And I play on my computor all day and talk like a big boy. You arew a punk ass.

anon said:
    April 11, 2013 at 3:16 PM

I think probably food cost has a lot to do with why the franchisees are suing the parent company for the right to set their own prices, but part of the franchise agreement with most parent companies is that the franchisee can't change anything, ever. Menu Item have to be the same at a franchise, the owner can't add new items or change recipes. Also, franchisees can't set their own prices, it's part of the contract they signed on for, along with trademark rights & the right do do business in the parent company's name. The downside to that is that if food costs are high, which they are, franchisees can't raise prices even a few cents to recover their losses. The upside of owning a franchise is that places like Steak n Shake, Taco Bell, Pizza Hut, etc. are all nationally recognized, & people tend to stick with what's familiar & consistent. A franchisee can work with the company's recipes, so doesn't have to deal with the trial & error inconsistencies that some privately-owned restaurants deal with.