Candle to blame for near south side fire

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

INDIANAPOLIS — Indianapolis firefighters extinguished a house fire in about 30 minutes late Wednesday night.

Crews responded to the 2500 block of Union Street, near South Meridian Street and Southern Avenue, around 11:20 p.m.

On scene, firefighters encountered heavy smoke coming from the home.

According to fire officials, one of the home’s two residents left a candle burning when she went to sleep.

She woke up to a smoke-filled home, quickly alerted her father, and the pair exited the home.

The father, Robert Duncan, 60 of Indianapolis, received cuts to his hand while breaking a window.

Medics transported him to Wishard Hospital for treatment.

Fire officials said the fire did approximately $50,000 dollars damage.