Indianapolis smoking ban approaches first anniversary

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

INDIANAPOLIS — The advocacy group Smoke Free Indy has two announcements planned for Thursday, as the one year anniversary of the Indianapolis-Marion County restaurant smoking ban approaches.

The ban first went into effect on June 1, 2012.

Smoke Free Indy’s Lindsay Grace told Fox 59 News the group plans to reveal the results of two studies at 10 a.m. at the Sinking Ship on North College Avenue.

The first study centers around indoor air quality improvements since the ban took effect.  The other study focuses on public opinion.

“We know public support is very high,” Grace said.  “The numbers in the public opinion poll, we did a scientific study, show that public support is even greater now than what it was previously.”

“What we really want to take with this data is show that people love the law in Indianapolis,” she said.  “It’s working very well.  We have over 300 bars.  [T]his really should be a message to our Capitol and our state lawmakers that the statewide law is unacceptable.  It’s not strong enough and people support a smoke-free law that includes bars and taverns and nightclubs.”

After the ban was passed, a group of restaurant, bars and business owners filed a lawsuit to stop it.  Earlier this year, a judge upheld the ban.