Family of slain Muncie girl taking child back to Florida for funeral

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

MUNCIE – The Delaware County Coroner has released the body of 5-year-old Marie Sadlyne Pierre to her family.

Muncie Police Chief Steve Stewart said the girl’s father and extended family from Florida and Haiti are in town to take the child home to Miami for funeral services and burial.

The girl had been staying with Marcus and her cousin Charlene Tabb at a home in the 1000 block of Brady Street for about a year. It’s unclear why she was with the family.

Now, Marcus Tabb, Charlene Tabb and her 14-year-old brother and 11-year-old sister are in custody, each accused of playing a role in Marie’s death.

The little girl was found dead inside the home on June 22. Court records state that a hammer, pliers, a screwdriver, a leather belt and other items were used to discipline Marie over the last two months.

“I can’t get my hands around why this would happen at all. The whole community is shocked about this,” said Delaware County Prosecutor Jeff Arnold.

Marie was one of five children staying at the home. Marcus and Charlene were not home on the night of her death. When we asked about filing murder charges in the case, Arnold said his office is considering all options.

Formal charges are expected to be filed early next week against the two children.