Beef and Chorizo Chili
Makes 4 – 6 servings.
- 1 pound 95% lean ground beef
- 7-8 ounces beef chorizo
- 1 ½ cups chopped white onions*
- 2-4 medium Serrano peppers, seeded, deveined and finely minced
- 2 tablespoons ground ancho chili powder or regular chili powder
- 2 tablespoons cornmeal or masa harina
- 1 tablespoon dried Mexican or regular oregano leaves, crushed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cans (15-16 ounces each) garbanzo or pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (28 ounces) petite diced tomatoes, undranied
- Hot cooked rice (optional)
- Toppings if desired: sliced radishes, crumbled queso fresco, sour cream, sliced green onions
- Brown ground beef and chorizo with onions and peppers in stockpot over medium heat 8 to 12 minutes or until beef and chorizo are not pink, breaking beef up into ¾-inch crumbles.
- Add chili powder, masa harina, oregano and salt. Cook and stir 1 minute.
- Stir in beans and tomatoes and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer 15 minutes.
- Let stand 5 minutes before serving. Serve with rice and topping if desired.