Two officers still in hospital following shootout at southeast side home
INDIANAPOLIS (March 6, 2014) – Two Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Department officers remain in the hospital following Wednesday night’s fatal shooting at a southeast side home.
Four officers were shot while serving a search warrant at a home in the 1600 block of State Avenue. Narcotics detectives knew the operation posed a danger and requested help from the IMPD SWAT Team. The target of the investigation—27-year-old Andrew Sizemore—died after exchanging gunfire with officers.
One officer was treated and released at the scene. Two were taken to IU Health Methodist Hospital and another to Eskenazi Hospital. Two officers are still hospitalized as they recover from their injuries.
Earlier Thursday, police said they recovered heroin, hundreds of prescription pills, $125,000 in cash and 13 guns from the home. They also found a garage full of items that they believe are stolen. The seized items have an estimated value between $500,000 and $750,000.
Five people were arrested:
- Robert Morgan, 62, arrested for Dealing a Controlled Substance
- Justin Williams, 24, arrested for Visiting a Common Nuisance
- Paul Beard, 21, arrested for Possession of a Control Substance
- Jacob Gobel, 20, arrested for Visiting a Common Nuisance
- Andrew Spurlock, 23, arrested for Visiting a Common Nuisance