Pack the Pantries! Call 317-493-2300 to donate. Our phone bank is open until 7 p.m. and there are several ways to donate

Lit cigarette causes mulch to catch fire, spreads to Fishers home

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

FISHERS, Ind. (May 5, 2014)— An improperly discarded cigarette is blamed for a Fishers house fire Monday afternoon.

Firefighters responded to the house around 1 p.m. after a passerby reported the back half of the house was on fire. Officials said the homeowner was able to contain the blaze by spraying water on it from their garden hose.

Fire officials said an improperly discarded cigarette caused mulch to catch fire, which spread up the bank of the house.