The inaugural Grand Prix of Indianapolis could see a rain delayed start with a couple of days with rain in the forecast. The good news right now is that the lowest chance for rain actually occurs on Saturday over the next couple of days. I think the city and the track are dry at 3:50 p.m. on Saturday when the race is officially set to begin. Up until then, and especially Friday, rain chances will be in the moderate range. Indianapolis is also listed as an area with severe weather concerns both Friday and Saturday according to the Storm Prediction Center. Model data this morning shows a risk of large hail and gusty winds possible for Friday. I believe Saturday’s severe risk will be dropped today if model trends continue to look like they appear this morning.
So if one is nice two is even nicer when it comes to 80° days. Indianapolis hit 83° yesterday and will likely be a degree or two warmer than that today. No organized rain chance for today, but I wouldn’t be surprised if we see a renegade shower or two around at some point.
Friday will be wet and stormy. We will be in what forecasters consider the ‘ring of fire.’ The ring of fire, when speaking about weather, is an area surrounding a strong ridge of high pressure. Surface convergence and instability occur naturally along the edge of the high pressure bubble and cause unsettled weather. This is especially true on the northwest side of the high where you generally have a front that forms. Today the ‘boundary’ will be in the way of a dryline but by tomorrow the dryline will be overtaken by a cold front. This combination of things coming together to our west and sliding through starting Friday morning and continuing through Saturday morning will bring us rain and storms.
At this point it looks like the window for rain will be from early Friday morning through the Saturday morning hours. As I said earlier it looks like the severe weather window will peak Friday afternoon into the evening hours. Severe weather will also be possible with the passage of a cold front early Saturday morning. At this point it looks like the front should be through by 8 a.m. on Saturday morning. If that timing stands up then we will see our severe risk for Saturday dropped.
Temperatures for today will be in the 80s once again. Tomorrow’s rain will keep us in the 70s for highs. Saturday’s weak front should also keep temperatures in the mid-70s (perfect for watching a race) for Saturday’s race. We warm back up on Sunday and prime the pump (become unstable) as I often say. Eighties on Sunday will give way to more rain being expected as we head into next work week. Enjoy your day!