Red White & Blue Poke Cake
- 1 box white cake mix
- Water, vegetable oil and egg whites called for on cake mix box
- 1 box (4 serving size) strawberry-flavored gelatin
- 1 cup boiling water
- ½ cup cold water
- 1 box (4 serving size) vanilla or white chocolate instant pudding and pie filling mix
- 1/3 cup whole milk
- 1 container (8 ounce) frozen whipped topping, thawed (can use light)
- 1 cup sliced fresh strawberries
- ½ cup fresh blueberries
- (Or just use red, white & blue candy stars for decorating top)
Heat oven to 350 degrees (325 for dark or non-stick pan). Make and bake cake mix as directed on box for 13×9-inch pan. Cool completely in pan, about 1 hour.
Pierce cooled cake with fork at ½-inch intervals. In medium bowl, stir gelatin and boiling water until dissolved. Stir in cold water. Carefully pour mixture over entire surface of cake. Refrigerate at least 3 hours until serving time.
In large bowl, mix pudding mix and milk until well blended. Gently stir in whipped topping. Spread over cake. Arrange strawberries and blueberries on top of cake to look like flag (Kim used decorator’s stars). Store loosely covered in refrigerator. Makes 16 servings.
Recipe adapted by culinary dietitian Kim Galeaz from Kraft Foods, Pillsbury and Betty Crocker.