- 2 slices raisin cinnamon bread (100% whole grain or enriched)
- Margarine or butter, about 1 to 1 ½ tablespoons
- Ham slice, about 3 ounces
- Cheese slice(s), about 2 ounces total
- Sliced apples, about 4-6
- Butter one slice of bread on both sides.
- Place this slice in small skillet over medium heat.
- Place ham slice, cheese slices and at least 4 or 5 apple slices (skin on!) on bread, top with second bread slice.
- Butter top of bread.
- Cook until browned thoroughly on bottom, then flip carefully and continuing cooking until cheese is melted and other side is browned.
- Serve immediately or wrap/place in container. Makes 1 sandwich.
Recipe by culinary dietitian Kim Galeaz, RDN