Teen’s cell phone catches on fire, company says she’s to blame
(July 29, 2014) – A Texas teen woke up to the smell of smoke last week and found her cell phone smoldering inches from her head.
But Samsung says the girl is to blame.
According to KDFW, 13-year-old Ariel Tolfree was listening to music on her cell phone and fell asleep.
The cell phone then slipped under her pillow causing it to overheat and catch on fire.
Ariel’s dad, Thomas, told KDFW, “We have a reasonable expectation that the products we buy are going to be safe.”
So the Tolfree family contacted Samsung.
A Samsung spokesperson released a statement to the family and KDFW saying their products are safe.
The company then pointed out that the battery inside the phone was a replacement unit and not an original Samsung part.
However, the company does agree there is a need for consumer education when it comes to rechargeable batteries.
They even have a warning posted in their user guide specifically stating that bedding or other material could restrict airflow and start a fire.
Unfortunately, the Tolfrees didn’t see the warning.
Samsung says they will replace the phone, the bedding, the mattress, and the pillow.