INDIANAPOLIS, Ind. (Sept. 25, 2014)-- The Department of Parks and Recreation announced the approval to extend greenway and trail hours.
The new hours are from 5 a.m. to 12 a.m. for non-restrictive use, effective immediately.
“Indianapolis has over 60 miles of greenways and trails and we want to make sure the trails are safe and people feel safe on them,” John Williams, Director of Parks and Recreation said. “With this extension it's important residents also understand they're going to need to take some responsibility to make sure they have the proper equipment and lighting to be on the trail at those hours.”
Residents are reminded that even with extended hours, users should continue to follow the posted guidelines:
- Keep to the right and communicate before passing
- Maintain control and safe speed
- Pedestrians have the right-of-way
- Share the trail and be courteous
- Stop for cross traffic and obey signage
- Respect the trail environment
- Keep pets on short leashes and remove pet waste
- Wear proper safety equipment such as helmets and reflective gear
For more information on the greenways including a map, click here.