ROASTED AUTUMN SQUASH WITH SPICED CIDER GLAZE
- 2 small acorn squash, seeded and each cut into 6 wedges
- 2 cups butternut squash, seeded, peeled and cut into 2-3 in. pieces
- 1 small delicata squash, seeded and cut into ½ inch segments, creating crescent moon-shaped pieces
- 12 spritzes (4 tablespoons) extra virgin olive oil
- ½ teaspoon Kosher salt
- Pinch black pepper, fresh ground
Preheat oven to 425°F.
Place squash pieces in a large bowl and season with olive oil, salt and pepper. Layer squash cut-side up on a baking sheet. Spritz again with extra virgin olive oil.
Roast for 30 – 45 minutes until squash is tender and caramelized, spritzing twice with olive oil and turning tray halfway through.
To test, insert a paring knife to check tenderness; squash pieces should be caramelized on the edges.
Remove from oven and brush squash with spiced glaze.
SPICED CIDER GLAZE
- ¼ cup apple cider
- ¼ cup fresh lime juice
- ¼ cup honey
- 1 tablespoon Chipotle Tabasco
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, minced
- Pinch whole black peppercorns
- Pinch red pepper flakes
- 2 cinnamon sticks, split
- 4 pieces star anise
- Fresh mint leaves (if desired)
Combine all ingredients in small, non-corrosive sauce pan.
Bring to boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 5 minutes then remove from heat. Allow to steep for 5 more minutes.
Brush or drizzle hot glaze over roasted squash. Sprinkle with fresh torn mint leaves.
Serves: 6 – 8