Family escapes burning home after candle lights curtains

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

DSC_0008

DSC_0010

INDIANAPOLIS, Ind. (Nov. 8, 2014) — A family of six escaped their burning home on the east side overnight Friday.

It happened in the 4700 block of Southeastern Avenue at 12 a.m. Saturday.

Firefighters say a man was burning a candle near a window in an upstairs room. When he opened that window to let some air in, the curtains caught fire.

The man ran downstairs to get a bucket of water, but by the time he got back, the fire had grown too big. He evacuated his wife and four children from the home and called 911.

Firefighters arrived to find smoke and flames showing from the upper story window. They had the blaze out in about 16 minutes.

The home had working smoke detectors downstairs, but they didn’t activate.

The man was slightly injured and was treated on the scene and released. The family will stay with relatives.

IFD wants to remind everyone to have smoke detectors on each level of your home and to keep lighted candles at least three feet away from flammable materials like drapes and furniture.