Woman says Samsung phone exploded, started fire in bedroom

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

(Dec. 9, 2014) – You’ll have to excuse Hope Casserly if she doesn’t want to use a Samsung phone anytime soon.

A computer science student at the University of Guelph in Canada, Casserly said her Samsung Galaxy Ace 2 exploded back in October. She bought the low-cost phone in 2013, according to the CBC.

She said it happened around 1:30 a.m. on Oct. 22. She was sleeping when she heard a loud pop. The phone battery and battery case went flying in separate directions, causing two sets of fires.

“My back was to the phone…I saw a light going across my shoulder, which would be the inside of the battery on fire. It hit the wall and fell onto my bed,” she told the CBC.

Casserly snuffed the fires with a pillow.

Samsung looked at the phone and said Casserly was using an unauthorized battery. She said she never switched it out—the battery was the same one that came with the phone when she bought it.

Samsung does have a warning about battery malfunctions in its user guide:

Covering the device with bedding, your body, thick clothing or any other materials that significantly affect air flow may affect the performance of the device and poses a possible risk of fire or explosion, which could lead to serious bodily injuries or damage to property.

After talking to the company several times about the incident, Samsung agreed to pay for the fire damage. It also sent Casserly a replacement phone.

Casserly said she won’t use it.

Source: CBC