IUPUI police investigating report of student drugged with e-cigarette, raped
INDIANAPOLIS, Ind. (December 18, 2014)- A college student told campus police they were drugged with an electronic cigarette and then raped.
The student told police the incident happened over Thanksgiving break when they invited a person to their apartment. The student and the alleged rapist met though an online social media site.
“During that encounter an e-cigarette was smoked, believed to have contained some sort of narcotic and the victim stated that they were drugged through that e-cigarette and they were allegedly raped,” explains Officer David Briggs, with IUPUI’s Police Department.
IUPUI Police told FOX59 this is a new method to them.
“If you’re looking out there like THC oils from marijuana can be put into the filters of these e-cigarettes and smoked, so subsequently you can get high on it. Now as far as any other type of narcotic or substance that could cause one to pass out or go under the influence I don’t know that’s a possibility,” explains Officer Briggs.
Officials wouldn’t say if the victim was a male or female and they are still trying to figure out who the suspect is.
Authorities are warning everyone, including students to take precautions:
- Be aware of your surroundings
- Listen to your intuition. If you feel like something is wrong, it probably is. Try to get out of the situation.
- Don’t be afraid to make a scene and yell, scream, or run for safety.
- Remember, alcohol and drugs can impair your perceptions and reactions. Be especially careful when you drink, and when you’re with someone who has been drinking.
- Speak up or call authorities immediately when you see someone who could be in trouble.