Propane heater, electrical problems lead to house fire on south side

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

picture courtesy of IFD

INDIANAPOLIS, Ind. (March 5, 2015)– A family home in the 3300 block of Carson Avenue was significantly damaged Thursday night around 6:30 p.m. after a propane-fed salamander heater ignited and caught the attached garage on fire. ┬áThe owner, Joseph Hubbard, told firefighters that he opened up the propane tank attached to the salamander in the garage to heat it.

When he plugged in the salamander to the extension cord, the tank ignited. He ran into the house to get his wife and pets and they evacuated.

No injuries were reported from the incident, however damage to the home is estimated around $150,000.