INDIANAPOLIS, Ind. (April 11, 2015) -- Donnie Walsh, former President of the Pacers and a current team consultant, was diagnosed with stage 1 tongue cancer in 2008. His cancer has been kept under control following a surgery requiring removal of the affected part of his tongue.
“An abnormal growth on my tongue was first spotted during a routine dental appointment, and I am fortunate and grateful that my cancer was detected and diagnosed early enough for me to undergo a relatively simple surgical procedure,” said Mr. Walsh. “My experience has taught me the importance of early detection and I encourage everyone to get screened for oral, head and neck cancers by taking advantage of the free screenings offered during OHANCAW at hundreds of local facilities throughout the country listed on the http://www.headandneck.org website. Early diagnosis and treatment can improve the outcome and chances of survival for people with these cancers. The ball is in your court…get yourself screened!”
Free screenings will be available at the following locations:
- Community Hospital Anderson, Anderson, IN, April 11th
- Reid Hospital and Health Care Services, Richmond, IN, April 13th
- Evansville Cancer Center/Vantage Oncology, Newburgh, IN, April 23rd
- James K Homrighausen, DMD New Albany, IN, Date TBD
- Parkview Comprehensive Cancer Center, Fort Wayne, IN, June 4th