Mayor Greg Ballard insists city did not break any laws with $32 million electric car deal

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

INDIANAPOLIS, Ind. (May 22, 2015) - Mayor Greg Ballard is going on the defense just one day after members of the City-County Council took steps to file a possible lawsuit. Ballard insists the City of Indianapolis did not break any laws when it entered into a $32 million contract with Vision Fleet.

When asked if the city violated any state statutes, the mayor replied, "Absolutely not and you know it."

The mayor's remarks come after a council committee voted to sue the city. During a meeting Thursday night, the committee determined the contract was questionable from the very beginning. Council members also complained that the Ballard Administration went behind their backs when it inked a no-bid contract with a start up company out of California.

An attorney for the council said the city bypassed ordinances, policies and violated state statutes in at least five significant ways.

"Our lawyer, the one we hire to give us advice on legal proceedings and legal procedure laid out a very very compelling case spelled out which laws they state that he feels the city has violated not just state law but our own city laws," said Councilman Zach Adamson.

A FOX59 investigation raised questions about the Vision Fleet contract nearly one month ago. Our investigation went on to uncover several versions of the contract and signature sheets that were altered, backdated and slipped into the wrong agreements.

The lawsuit would need approval from the full council. The matter is expected to be taken up during the next council meeting, scheduled for June 8.

Vision Fleet issued the following statement:

“We are hopeful all sides can come together to work out their differences to avoid litigation over what the data show has been an incredibly successful program so far.”