Lockefield Garden apartment fire caused by carpet drying machine

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

Picture courtesy of IFD

INDIANAPOLIS, Ind. – (May 31, 2015)    Shortly before 11:30pm Saturday night,  the Indianapolis Fire Department was called to the Lockefield Garden apartments just north of the IUPUI campus. Upon arrival, firefighters found thick smoke coming from a vacant second floor apartment.

After gaining entry into the apartment, they found a carpet drying machine had caught fire and melted in the carpet. The situation was quickly brought under control but not before causing $50,000 in damages.

Fifteen residents were evacuated during the incident but were allowed to return after the situation had been cleared. No injuries were reported as the investigation is ongoing.