Family members fear father could be taking missing boys out of the country

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

INDIANAPOLIS, Ind. (July 13, 2015) - Family members of two missing boys fear their father could be taking the boys out of the country.

10-year-old Gabriel Bernal and 9-year-old Roberto Bernal were taken by their father sometime early Saturday morning. The boys mother says she didn't know they were missing until later in the morning, and she called police.

Family members say they don't believe the boys are in danger. The boys father, Gabriel Diaz, packed backpacks with clothing for the boys.

Police say this is not the first time Diaz has taken his sons from their mother. Last week, police tracked down Diaz with the boys in Lawrence after their mother reported them missing. Police say Diaz was cooperative and surrendered the boys to their mother. Diaz does not have legal custody of the boys. Police believe that may be the reason he took them.

“He wanted to move back to Mexico, she wanted to stay here, and so she told him that he couldn't take the kids with him," said IMPD Sgt. Kendale Adams.

Family members say they believe Diaz may be trying to take the boys to Mexico. IMPD has contacted local agencies in Texas, where Diaz might be traveling through. Police are asking Diaz to call them and let them know the boys are okay.

“The bottom line is, we need him to call police and let us know if he has the children," Sgt. Adams said.

Sgt. Adams said this particular case did not fall under the qualifications for an Amber Alert. He said, for example, there's no proof of immediate danger or threat to the children.