Here’s where to find FOX59 on Comcast’s Xfinity

These six traditional Thanksgiving foods can be poisonous to pets

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

(November 23, 2015) – The holidays are meant to be spend with family and friends – not at your local emergency animal hospital.

Doctors at Pets Best say they typically see a significant uptick in cases during this season because some traditional Thanksgiving dishes can be dangerous and even deadly for dogs.

According to Veterinarian Eva Evans, your pets should avoid this list of foods at all costs.

Ham: Pork products can result in vomiting, diarrhea and even pancreatitis, which causes other digestive problems.

Stuffing: Onions and garlic are extremely toxic to dogs and cats, according to Dr. Evans. Since these items are included in most stuffing recipes, you should avoid giving any amount to pets.

Mashed potatoes: If it’s made with onion powder or garlic, don’t give it to you pet. Many animals are also lactose intolerance so the milk and butter in mashed potatoes can cause diarrhea.

Turkey bones: Aside from a choking risk, turkey bones can splinter and cause damage to the stomach and intestines. Dr. Evans also said bones can give our furry friends severe indigestion.

Salads with grapes or raisins: Grapes are potentially deadly, so keep waldorf salad and ambrosia away from dogs and cats.

Anything chocolate: This may seem like a no-brainer for experienced pet owners. But you may want to remind guests not to give animals a taste of chocolate desserts.