23 Indiana workers hospitalized for carbon monoxide poisoning at manufacturing company

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

MIDDLEBURY, Ind. (December 7, 2015) –  23 workers were hospitalized Monday morning due to symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning.

According to WNDU, crews from the Middlebury and Bristol Fire Departments responded to an Elkhart County RV plant around 7 a.m.

142 people began their shift at the Forest River plan around 5 a.m. and within 15 minutes they started feeling symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning, and the plant was evacuated.

Middlebury Fire Chief Jeff Wogoman told WNDU that the exhaust system of a furnace at the plant had rusted through, and the exhaust was going directly into the plant.

Five people were taken to the hospital by ambulance, 12 people were transported by bus, and 6 other workers went to the hospital on their own.

At this time, two patients have been discharged and 21 others are under observation.