Here’s where to find FOX59 on Comcast/Xfinity

San Bernardino shooter may have planned a 2012 attack, officials say

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

(Dec. 8, 2015)– Investigators believe San Bernardino shooter Syed Rizwan Farook may have been plotting an earlier attack in California with someone else, two U.S. officials said.

One of the officials said the two conspired in 2012 and a specific target was considered. Neither of the officials could say how serious the plotting got.

One official said the two decided not to go through with the earlier attack after a round of terror-related arrests in the area.

“They got spooked,” the official said.

The purported plot bolsters assertions law enforcement officials have made since the San Bernardino attacks, saying Farook had been radicalized for a time before the shooting.