Oven used to heat home sparks fire

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

INDIANAPOLIS, Ind. (January 23, 2016)–Fire investigators say improper use of an oven to heat a west side home resulted in a devastating fire.

Shortly after 8: 30 a.m. fire crews were called to the 4000 block of Corwyn Road on a report of a house fire.

Firefighters arrived to find heavy fire and smoke pouring from the one-story house.

The home is occupied by Keith and LaShawn Brazier and their three children.

LaShawn Brazier told firefighters she had been using the oven to provide added warmth to the house when nearby combustibles caught fire.

The family was alerted to the fire when the smoke detectors went off and evacuated.

The flames quickly spread from the oven, blew out the back door and traveled up and into the roof.

No injuries were reported. Damage is estimated at $50,000.

Indianapolis Firefighters remind residents to never use an appliance for something other than its intended purpose.  Using a stove top or oven to heat can result in catastrophic consequences.