Questions loom after Park Tudor headmaster’s suicide

INDIANAPOLIS, Ind. (Jan. 25, 2016) -- All classes and extracurricular activities were cancelled at Park Tudor School Monday after the weekend death of Headmaster Dr. Matthew Miller.

The Marion County Coroner's Office confirmed Miller's cause of death as a hanging and the manner of death was ruled a suicide.

“It’s a very tragic loss for the Park Tudor community,” said Marya Jones.  “I’m a 1978 graduate of the school.  I love the school, that’s why my daughter is a student here.”

Jones’ comments echoed the sentiments of hundreds of comments flooding Park Tudor’s Facebook page, praising Dr. Miller’s impact as an educator and offering prayers and condolences for Miller’s family.  Miller is survived by his wife, Mia, and two children, Sophia and Grayson.

“We really just need to come together as the family that I know this school is, and heal and move forward,” Jones said.

But the timing of Miller's suicide is also fueling speculation about a possible connection to the child pornography and exploitation investigation involving former basketball coach Kyle Cox, who abruptly resigned in December.  Sources say the Indiana Internet Crimes Against Children Task Force interviewed Miller last week.

Earlier this month, the task force, which includes state and local police, served a search warrant at Park Tudor.   That same day, police served a search warrant at Cox’s home in Fishers.

The Marion County Prosecutor's Office says the investigation into Cox is ongoing, and would not confirm whether the investigation had any connection to Miller.

“It has nothing to do with the kind of educator that he was,” Jones said.  “He was a phenomenal educator.  I don’t believe there’s a connection.”

A statement from Rob Brown, president of the Park Tudor Board of Directors, reads:

"The entire Park Tudor community is deeply saddened by this sudden loss.  We ask that you keep Dr. Miller's  family, our students and our community in your thoughts and prayers at this difficult time."

Parents received a letter from the school Monday that said none of its employees, including Miller, were targets of an investigation. Miller's interview was a standard witness interview being conducted by investigators in the Cox case. The school said it wasn't aware of any threat to students and pledged to work with law enforcement and remain transparent.

On Jan. 28, the school will host a pair of meetings for parents with questions about recent events and the school's plans going forward. The first meeting is 5 p.m. to 6:30 p.m. for middle and upper school. A second meeting from 7 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. will focus on Hilbert Center and lower school.


Filed in: News

Suggest a correction
Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 2,911 other followers