Indianapolis man who drove murder victim to CCB sentenced to 62 years

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

William Smith

INDIANAPOLIS, Ind. (Mar. 7, 2016)– An Indianapolis man convicted in the 2015 murder of a woman was sentenced Monday to 62 years in jail.

Police found Azya Knowles, 20, inside a bullet-riddled pickup truck in downtown Indianapolis on February 11, 2015. Police arrested William Smith on a gun charge in connection with the case. Knowles died two days later.

Smith was found guilty last month of murder, carrying a handgun without a permit and possession of marijuana.

According to court documents, Smith drove to the City-County Building.  An officer noticed a handgun in Smith’s hand, so the officer drew his weapon and told the truck to stop.  Smith complied and was immediately taken into custody. Police said Smith disclosed he had $30,000 in the vehicle and that he had been chased and shot at by unknown people.

Police said Smith’s story about a shooting in the area of Michigan and Lynn Streets was unfounded.