Several Indianapolis teens attacked on spring break

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

SIESTA KEY, FL. (April 11, 2016) - Several Indianapolis teens are recovering this week after brutal attacks while on spring break in Florida.

At least three Indy-area teens were jumped while walking back to their rooms after late-night parties last week on the beach. The victims and their families, who all wanted to stay anonymous, said in many cases another group of teens would lure the victims over by befriending them or asking for their help to find something.

“It’s like shooting fish in a barrel," one victim's mother said. "They are out there hunting our kids."

Another victim, 15, left the hospital Monday after being attacked Thursday night. He suffered a broken jaw while being attacked and had to have surgery to repair it.

“It’s beyond bizarre in my book," the second victim's mother said. “This was our second year taking our kids (to Siesta Beach)and never heard of such a thing ever happening so I think as parents we thought our kids were safe.”

Both families are frustrated that law enforcement did not publicize the attacks more. They fear other teens may become victims.

“Wherever you go you can’t take it for granted they're going to be safe," the second victim's mother said. "It’s just a crazy world I think out there today and we just have to protect them.”

The Sarasota Sheriff's Office arrested Mamaun Mustafa, 18, in the first attack. Officers are still investigating the others.