VERMILION, Ohio (April 21, 2016)-- A 15-year-old Ohio boy was electrocuted while reportedly trying to conduct an experiment he saw on YouTube.
The Erie County Sheriff's Office said the accident happened around 6 p.m. on Tuesday. Authorities say Morgan Wojciechowski was trying to perform an experiment called "Jacob's Ladder," which involves a high-voltage traveling arc of electricity between two points.
Emergency crews treated the boy at the scene and then took him to a hospital, where he was pronounced dead.
The teen reportedly saw the experiment on YouTube, and authorities say he then attempted it in his garage. The boy's family was home at the time of the accident.
Vermilion Local School District released the following statement regarding the incident:
"On behalf of Vermilion Schools we would like the greater community to know that we are brokenhearted about this tragic loss to our school community. Morgan was a vibrant student and athlete who was well liked at Vermilion High School. Our thoughts and prayers are with Morgan’s family, and we continue to be available for anything they need.
While we can appreciate the importance of reporting this story, we ask that you allow us to focus our efforts on helping the family, our staff and students cope with the loss of this wonderful young man. At this time we would prefer not to make any additional comments about this tragic event. Thank you for understanding."