Cluttered home poses problems for Indianapolis firefighters

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

INDIANAPOLIS, Ind. – A 71-year-old woman escaped significant injury from a Monday afternoon fire, but clutter inside the home made it difficult for firefighters who arrived in response.

The fire broke out around 2:15 p.m. at a home in the 5600 block of Broadway Street. The woman who lives there said she was lighting the gas stove when it flashed. She got out of the home on her own.

When crews arrived, smoke was showing from the home. Crews had it under control in about 30 minutes. Firefighters had a difficult time getting inside the house because of the excessive amount of clutter on the floor.

Damage from the fire was estimated at $30,000.