14 dogs die in Indiana after air conditioning in truck fails

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

JOSEPH COUNTY, Ind. – Authorities in northern Indiana are investigating an incident in which 14 dogs were found dead inside a truck.

According to the South Bend Tribune, police and the Humane Society of St. Joseph County were dispatched to a Quality Inn hotel in Roseland, Indiana Friday night on a report that multiple dogs may have died.

Lt. William Redman told the South Bend Tribune that upon arrival they located 14 dogs dead inside a box truck. The truck belonged to Lakesyde Kennels and Handling of Wellington, Ohio.

According to Redman, Courtney Corral of Lakesyde Kennels arrived in town on Wednesday with the dogs for an American Kennel Club dog show at the St. Joseph County Fairgrounds.

Corral owned several of the dogs; the other dogs were owned by eight other people from around the country.

All but one dog was a golden retriever, and three of the dogs were puppies.

The dogs were being kept in the cargo area of the truck which was equipped with air condition via an extension cord running from the side of the truck to the wall of the Quality Inn.

The setup worked without incident on Wednesday and Thursday, but on Friday a circuit breaker in the truck was apparently thrown, cutting power to the air conditioning. It is unknown what triggered the malfunction.

The Humane Society of St. Joseph County wrote the following statement on their website:

All of us here at the Humane Society of St. Joseph County are heavy-hearted over the loss of these fourteen beloved companion animals and our thoughts and prayers go out to their owners in this time of grief. We are continuing our investigation into this incident but nevertheless this is a tragic and devastating situation for all those involved. I just ask that we all respect the seriousness of this incident and show compassion to the nine owners who have lost their beloved pets.

If you follow our Facebook page, you may have seen the many posts we’ve made about the dangers of leaving pets in vehicles and other precautions to take when we have extreme temperatures. Sometimes we forget that technology can fails us, cars overheat and shut off, and air conditioning units can stop working which can create very dangerous situations for not only humans but our animal counterparts. Even short “in-and-out” trips at the store can have deadly consequences. Studies have shown that even with windows cracked the temperature inside a vehicle and go up twenty degrees in ten minutes.