RECIPES: Vegetarian Couscous Royal with Baked Vegetables in Saffron & Herb Sauce
Recipe courtesy of Saffron Cafe.
1 onion cut in diced
1 zucchini sliced longwise
1 large carrot sliced longwise
1 sweet potato cubed
1 turnip cubed
1 red bell pepper cut in slices
1 cup chopped cabbage
1 cup chickpeas
3 tbsp finely chopped fresh parsley
3 tbsp finely chopped cilantro
2 tsps paprika
2 tsps turmeric
2 tsps ginger
1 tsp sea salt
1 pinch saffron
3 tsp Olive Oil
Steamed Vegetable Preparation:
Steamers come in a variety of forms. The stainless steel fold-up variety fits inside a pot to keep the
vegetables above sauce. Some pots are specifically made with holes in the bottom for steaming over
another pot of sauce. To steam vegetables, simply follow these steps:
- 1. Wash vegetables
- Bring water to a boil
- Add parsley, cilantro, paprika, turmeric, ginger, cayenne, salt, saffron,Olive Oil.
- Place vegetables in a steaming basket over the sauce and cover
- Steam until they become bright in color or have reached desired texture
- Remove vegetables from pot and arrange them artistically on couscous or quinoa.
- Serve the remaining sauce on the side, when is needed for more moisture to Quinoa ( gluten free) or couscous. Or add red hot pepper to the sauce if you desire heat? For the meet Lovers add Chicken, lamb, beef, or fish, You can bake chicken or lamb in the vegetable sauce, and steam fish in the same sauce, serve the meet on the top of your Quinoa or couscous, and vegetable.
Prep Time: 2 minutes
Steam time: 5 minutes
1 Cup of couscous.
2 cups of boiled vegetable sauce from steamed vegetable.
1.Combine couscous and vegetable sauce in a saucepan and Cover for 5 minutes
For people with Gluten intolerance:
Before cooking, quinoa must be rinsed to remove the toxic (but naturally occurring) bitter coating,
called saponin. Saponin, when removed from quinoa, produces a soapy solution in water. Quinoa is
rinsed before it is packaged and sold, but it is best to rinse it again at home before use. Place quinoa
in a grain strainer and rinse thoroughly with water.
Prep Time: 2 minutes
Cooking Time: 15-20 minutes
1 cup quinoa
2 cups vegetable sauce from steamed vegetable.
- Using a fine mesh strainer, rinse quinoa with cool water until the water runs clear.
- Combine quinoa and vegetable sauce in a saucepan. Cover and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to a simmer and continue to cook covered for 15 minutes or until all sauce has been absorbed.