RECIPE: Swiss Cheese Breakfast Biscuits
Swiss Cheese Breakfast Biscuits
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour (or regular whole wheat flour)
- 1 ¾ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- ½ cup (1 stick) cold butter
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Swiss cheese
- 1/3 cup very finely chopped green onion (or 1-2 teaspoons dried onion flakes)*
- 2 large eggs, slightly beaten
- 1 cup low-fat or regular buttermilk
If using dried onion, let it sit in the buttermilk until adding it to the mixture. Heat oven to 425°F. Lightly butter or grease large baking sheets. In a large bowl, whisk together dry ingredients. Cut in butter until the mixture is crumble. Stir in cheese. Add the eggs, buttermilk and onion. Stir just until moistened (do not over-stir). Drop by very heaping tablespoons (or a scant ¼-cup amount) about 2 inches apart on greased cookie sheets. Bake for 10 – 13 minutes, or until golden brown on bottom and starting to brown on top.
Makes about 18 – 20 biscuits.
Recipe by wheatfoods.org with adaptations by culinary nutritionist & dietitian Kim Galeaz, RDN CD