Greta Van Susteren leaving Fox News
NEW YORK — Greta Van Susteren, one of the top anchors at Fox News, has left the channel, effective immediately.
The network did not provide a reason for Van Susteren’s exit, but sources said the veteran host had been seeking to renegotiate the terms of her contract since former Fox News chief Roger Ailes resigned in late July amid sexual harassment allegations.
Like many Fox News hosts, Van Susteren had a “key man” clause in her contract that allowed her to leave if Ailes did. When she was unable to renegotiate her contract, she chose to activate that clause.
In a statement on her Facebook page, Van Susteren wrote that Fox “has not felt like home to me for a few years and I took advantage of the clause in my contract which allows me to leave now.”
“I hope to continue my career in broadcasting,” Van Susteren wrote.
The announcement came the same day that 21st Century Fox announced a $20 million settlement deal with Gretchen Carlson, the anchorwoman who sued Ailes for sexual harassment and launched the controversy that led to his ouster.
Van Susteren, a former criminal defense and civil trial lawyer, hosted “On The Record with Greta Van Susteren” for 14 years in prime time. She joined Fox News from CNN in 2002.
Van Susteren was not quoted in the announcement about her exit, and she did not immediately respond to requests for comment on Tuesday. But she replied to several well-wishers on Twitter and thanked them for supporting her.
Brit Hume, the former 6 p.m. host who now serves as a political analyst, will take over Van Susteren’s 7 p.m. time slot until a permanent replacement is found.
“I am happy to take on this assignment for the balance of this extraordinary election,” Hume said in a statement.
Fox News co-presidents Bill Shine and Jack Abernethy praised Van Susteren in a joint announcement.
“We are grateful for Greta’s many contributions over the years and wish her continued success,” the two executives said.