ANDERSON, Ind. – At least six Anderson families were displaced from their homes Tuesday after a fire broke out at their apartment complex.
Firefighters were dispatched to Apple Creek Apartments in the 5640 Applecreek Way around noon to investigate a porch fire.
When fire crews arrived to the two alarm fire, they started busting down doors and helping residents out.
No residents were injured in the blaze, but officials believe some pets may have died. The American Red Cross was called for assistance.
Susana Carenno is one resident who lost everything in the fire. She said the only thing salvageable was her purse. She said she didn’t hear smoke detector alarms and was warned by a friend that the apartment was on fire.
“He yelled fire because he saw fire coming from the patio upstairs,” Carenno said. She added, “I went back in and got my dog, by the time I got back to this area, I looked up, the patio was all gone. The flames were already coming out of all the windows and out of the roof already and at that time, it already melted the siding on the first floor.”
We’re told a firewall that’s under construction most likely saved the second section of a damaged building, by stopping the fire from spreading.
Crews were able to stifle the fire and investigators began work at the scene. As of Tuesday afternoon, officials say they believe the fire was accidental.