BEECH GROVE, Ind. – A young man was injured on a ride at the Beech Grove Fall Festival Wednesday night.
Officials with the Beech Grove Fire Department say it happened just before 7 p.m. on the “Scrambler.”
Around 25 seconds into the ride, officials say a mechanical malfunction caused a metal bar with lights on it to break free and hit the 17-year-old. He was treated for minor injuries and is expected to be fine.
Mayor Dennis Buckley released this statement at 8:30 a.m. Thursday:
In lieu of the unfortunate accident last night at the Beech Grove Fall Festival, I have instructed the fire chief to inform all involved to disassemble the scrambler ride due to equipment failure.
Yesterday, I had asked our Compliance Division to inspect all aspects of the street fair except for the rides, which the city is not certified to do. Also this morning, I have instructed the fire chief to relay my request to the Indiana Department of Homeland Security to inspect rides associated with the street fair. Should the scrambler ride not be disassembled per my instructions, I will have further instructions for the police chief this afternoon.
City of Beech Grove
The Beech Grove Fire Department says the ride was inspected by the Department of Homeland Security prior to the festival’s opening. It was shut down following the incident and will be closed through the rest of the festival.
During a follow-up inspection, Homeland Security found several minor violations unrelated to Wednesday's malfunction. A few of these violations included frayed wires, a missing bolt, a nut that needed tightening and the ride fence needed to be reset and properly spaced.