Not only is today Taco Tuesday, it’s also National Taco Day!
Tacos are eaten by millions of people every day in either hard or soft shells--with a variety of fillings.
Kylee Wierks from Kylee’s Kitchen stopped by the FOX59 newsroom this morning to share a very unique taco recipe – taco lasagna!
The dish combines the flavors of tacos with the comfort of a casserole!
Yield: Makes about 10 servings
- 1 1/4 pounds ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 Tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 cups salsa
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 4 ounces Challenge cream cheese
- 1 (1 ounce) envelope taco seasoning
- 6 (10 inch) tortillas
- 3 cups shredded Mexican cheese blend
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit
- In large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Add garlic and sauté for 1 minute longer. Drain beef mixture.
- Return beef to skillet and stir in salsa, beans, cream cheese, and taco seasoning; continue to stir over medium heat until cream cheese has melted into mixture.
- Place two tortillas in a greased 13x9-inch baking dish.
- Spread 1 1/2cup meat mixture over tortillas and sprinkle 1 cup cheese on top.
- Repeat layer two more times.
- Cover and bake for 30 minutes. Cheese on top should be completely melted.
- Let stand for 10 minutes and serve.
- Dish stays good in refrigerator for up to 3 days.
*Note: You can also make dish in slow cooker by cooking on low for 2 to 4 hours.
Recipe courtesy of Kylee Wierks of Kylee's Kitchen