Indiana candidates reacting to controversy over Trump tape
INDIANAPOLIS – After a leaked tape surfaced showing Donald Trump making lewd and inappropriate remarks about women, politicians in Indiana and across the country reacted swiftly with disgust.
Trump’s remarks from 2005 have put many in the GOP in the difficult position of condemning their nominee’s statements.
Indiana GOP senate candidate Todd Young released a short statement Friday night.
“I think Donald Trump’s terrible comments were beyond offensive,” said Young.
His opponent, Democrat Evan Bayh, released the following statement:
“Republicans and Democrats alike can agree that the attitude towards women on display in this recording is deeply disturbing and has no place in our society. This isn’t politics. It’s basic decency. But this is someone my opponent fully supports.”
House Speaker Paul Ryan says he is “sickened” by Donald Trump’scrude comments about women, revealed in an audio from 2005, and is calling on the Republican presidential nominee to show greater respect for women.
In a statement late Friday, Ryan says Trump will no longer be attending an annual fall festival in Wisconsin. The all-GOP event in Ryan’s home state had been planned with Trump, Ryan, Gov. Scott Walker and the head of the Republican Party, Reince Priebus.
Ryan, who has had a rocky relationship with Trump, says women are to be championed and revered. He adds that he hopes Trump will treat the fallout with the seriousness it deserves.
Donald Trump issued the following statement Friday night:
“Governor Mike Pence will be representing me tomorrow in Wisconsin. I will be spending the day in New York in debate prep with RNC Chairman Reince Priebus, Gov. Chris Christie and Sen. Jeff Sessions, and then flying to St. Louis on Sunday for the 2nd Presidential Debate.”